cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Win10 ROG GL552VW - with Windows.old folder? How to delete?

gordon86
Level 7
Hi,

I have a new ROG GL552VW with Windows 10. There is a very large Windows.old folder on the C:\ drive, does this mean it was upgraded to Windows 10?

Does this folder contain anything important and is there a way to remove these files?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

maf23
Level 7
The folder is from Windows Update and does not necessarily mean your Windows 10 was upgraded. If you have no issues, you can delete it, but once deleted you cannot roll back the update. The folder is a bootable image file that is viewable in Boot Manager (However I could not boot into it-so I deleted mine with no issues).

Its created when you go from windows 7/8/8.1 to windows 10 also when upgrading windows 10 builds.

When I turned on my laptop and went from release windows 10 to the lastest update it created a .old folder you can delete it via the disk cleanup app

Thanks, I'm going to use Disk clean-up to remove it.

Sorry to bump this old post, but I noticed something similar on my brand new GL502VM. Since Windows 10 has been out for ages, it seems logical to assume that any new laptops would have been clean installed with Windows 10 from the beginning. Does the presence of the Windows.Old and Windows10Upgrade folders mean that the computer started out with a different OS and *never* had a proper clean install of WIndows 10?

adelwich wrote:
Sorry to bump this old post, but I noticed something similar on my brand new GL502VM. Since Windows 10 has been out for ages, it seems logical to assume that any new laptops would have been clean installed with Windows 10 from the beginning. Does the presence of the Windows.Old and Windows10Upgrade folders mean that the computer started out with a different OS and *never* had a proper clean install of WIndows 10?

no.
the same logic as post #2 still applies.
but this time it's Windows 10 Creators update, or any major version change.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

This is probably a dense question, but shouldn't we do a clean install with every major version update to the operating system? On the Macbook I use at work, I will be sure to do a clean install when High Sierra is official released. Back in the day, I remember people urging us to do a clean install of Service Pack 2 under Windows 7.

haihane
Level 13
from version 1503, then 1607 (i stayed on this version the longest, to be honest), then version 1703 (was forced by necessity, oyeah, that ransomware that makes people wannacry).

i'll be damned if i have to clean reinstall windows every single time Microsoft ****s out a major version update. using computer becomes more of a chore than enjoyment.

Funny! 🙂

I'm weird, but I really love the feeling of a clean installation on my laptop. It reminds me of a freshly cleaned hotel room. Applications seem to load more quickly, the desktop is uncluttered, and there aren't a gazillion little start up programs getting in the way when you log on. And, with everything stored in a cloud-based service like Dropbox or Google Drive, it doesn't take long to get back up and running.

As I said, I'm weird. 🙂

haihane
Level 13
You are right. And I can respect that.