Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by caracal77 View Post
    Turns out the problem was with the cache voltage as you suggested, cekim.

Final voltages are:

Vcore: 1.03v (though AiSuite reports this rising to 1.04v while stress testing)
    VCCSA: 0.85v
    Input Voltage: 1.8v (I believe this is stock?)
    Cache Voltage: 0.98v (anyone know what the stock voltage is for this one?)

Do these voltages all seem OK, again with the focus being on longevity? (Hence the conservative overclock). Temps are fine.

Thanks again for any help.
    1.8 is stock for input at no load.
    stock cpu/cache is around 0.80 stock with no load, but may ramp up as load increases.

Those voltages are beyond fine, they are at or below what "auto" is going to be doing in a typical system (who's bios would be coded to leave head-room that any given processor may or may not need). 1.03 vs 1.04 variance is also entirely normal.

Those are extremely conservative voltages compared to what many/most who go beyond stock will use as well as well within Intel's various guidance for keeping things below 1.35v (IIRC). People have been driving haswell cores hard for a while now and they don't seem terribly fragile, but as you well know its a lottery, so there is nothing wrong with playing it safe.
    Last edited by cekim; 03-31-2016 at 07:00 PM.

0.80, not 0.85, sorry - I double checked...

Also, I think I misspoke earlier - the offsets are obviously relative to those starting points unless you use "manual" in which case they aren't offsets. Sorry for any confusion, but you seem to have found a good setup despite my goofs.

!@#$ you, CPU! Array Gobe PC Specs
    Gobe PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 5960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB Quad 3200 14-14-14-34
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVMe 512 Gb
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVMe 512 Gb
    CPU CoolerPhobya UC-2 LT w/Phobya DC12-400 pump w/Phobya G-Changer 360mm & Phobya Xtreme 200 V.2 radiators
    CaseCorsair 750D Airflow Edition - Want BIGGER!
    Power SupplySeaSonic X-1250
    Keyboard Vintage (1989) IBM Model M Clicky 'cuz I'm old (PN: 1390131) Bolt-Modded
    Mouse The cat kills 'em, the dog kills the rats and possums, racoons are a problem. Life in the country!
    OS Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    Network RouterDon't remember; don't care.
    Accessory #1 Ice bucket for the Phobya Xtreme 200 V.2 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Caffeinated beverage du jour
    Accessory #3 The occasional 18 year Glenfiddich, because I've earned it, dammit.

Just a comment on the eventual voltage. My understanding is that you should only need to set the memory voltage on the main page and leave the eventual voltage alone if you plan to run at the same memory voltage as boot. When eventual voltage is set to Auto, the memory voltage during operation will match the boot voltage.

The reason for the ability to manually set the eventual voltage is for cases where you need extra voltage to get a successful boot but you can run stable at a lower memory voltage once successfully booted. The eventual voltage manual setting provides the ability to specify a LOWER memory voltage than the boot memory voltage upon successful completion of boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobe View Post
    Just a comment on the eventual voltage. My understanding is that you should only need to set the memory voltage on the main page and leave the eventual voltage alone if you plan to run at the same memory voltage as boot. When eventual voltage is set to Auto, the memory voltage during operation will match the boot voltage.

The reason for the ability to manually set the eventual voltage is for cases where you need extra voltage to get a successful boot but you can run stable at a lower memory voltage once successfully booted. The eventual voltage manual setting provides the ability to specify a LOWER memory voltage than the boot memory voltage upon successful completion of boot.
    I did eventually go back and try this and much to my dismay, the result of auto on the eventual voltage was 1.5V shown when I went into BIOS settings....

I have no idea what their auto voltage is doing here, but it's been reasonably horrible on both the RVE and X99-PRO for me. I haven't been able to allow it to do its own thing without randomly seeing horrifying values.

So, I went back and pegged them both at the sticker value and it it obeys. I still can't get 3000 to even boot regardless of any voltage so far, so it is entirely possible I'm doing something else wrong, but this 1.5V was with a very tame and otherwise stable setup (1.25vcore, 1.0 vcache +0.22 SA 2800MHz DDR)

Auto doesn't always do that, just "sometimes", but once is too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2