Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY: flashing battery indicator light with battery uninstalled

Evil_Hotdog
Level 7
Hi guys,

First I thought I had a problem with the battery,
From one moment to another it wouldn't charge past a certain percentage (between 87-91%) even though the system said it was still charging, and the battery light indicator was flashing orange constantly.
If I unplugged the adapter the laptop still worked as normal with battery, I even got about 2,5 hours out of it before it powered down without warning me.
Right after plugging the adapter out and during the entire 2,5 hours the battery was always the same percentage according to the system and would last for 10 hours or something (orange light still flashing).
When I turned it back on after that everything seemed normal (no flashing orange light) and stayed normal for a few days, with the exception that my battery still couldn't get to 100%, untill the same thing happened all over again.
Then I tried a couple things: flash BIOS, do a few empty and recharge cycles with the battery, reïnstall windows ACPI driver, system restore.
All without resolving the issue.
So I thought the battery would need replacement.
But to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the adapter or software I uninstalled the battery.
So now I'm running the laptop without battery,
at first everything was normal, but now the battery light indicator is flashing orange again, even though i'm running without battery.
I don't know what could be the cause of this anymore, besides maybe a faulty motherboard, but I only got the laptop for 15 months and I'm out of warranty, so that would suck.
Any help would be appreciated.

I know there are other similar threads about this, but I still made a new one since my problem appears to be different then mentioned in the other threads.
11 REPLIES 11

Gps3dx
Level 12
Have you read and tried these suggestions ? HERE, HERE, HERE ( and HERE )
Although these solutions are about another model, they might just work for you as well, as many ROG laptops models behave the same.
Please report back if you manage to solve it and how.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Evil_Hotdog
Level 7
Thanks for your answer,
I tried all the suggestions, but nothing really solves it completely.
Pushing the power button after restarting the laptop got rid of the blinking indicator, for a few hours.
Reinstalling the battery got rid of the blinking indicator for good, so far, battery still won't charge over 90% though (no green led).
Besides that everything still seems to work fine.
For now I'll leave it the way it is, I mostly use it with cable anyway so the battery isn't that big of a problem.
I guess I could try to reinstall windows some time, when it happens again.

Mousepad
Level 10
Bump as I have this same problem all of a sudden. I woke up a few days ago to a blinking orange led on the G751JT. I managed to get rid of the blinking orange for a while but then it came back. Sometimes it blinks sometimes it stays solid but always orange. It won't charge past like 87%. Right now it is at a steady 85% for a long time. It says it is plugged in and charging but doesn't move past 85%

Only thing I haven't been able to try is removing the battery as I am away from home and Asus decided to make removing the battery a difficult issue!

Anybody have any suggestions? Is the battery busted?

EDIT - nevermind as it looks like this thread has figured out it is a possible shorted cell https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82461-ASUS-G751-CH71-Battery-stuck-at-84

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you charge but it wont go to full capacity you have a shorted cell and should replace the pack. Lithium chargers work a bit differently than old school Nickel based batteries. It actually charges each individual cell separately.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If you charge but it wont go to full capacity you have a shorted cell and should replace the pack. Lithium chargers work a bit differently than old school Nickel based batteries. It actually charges each individual cell separately.

Yea, this is what I figured from the other thread. I contacted Asus as well to hear from them but I am not under warranty anymore. Do you know where I can buy a battery pack? Thanks!

Also would it be a problem if I just kept using it like this? Obviously battery life would be shorter but I'm just wondering if it is safe to keep it this way?

vempatyappu
Level 7
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.

vempatyappu wrote:
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.

Do you know where I can purchase an OEM battery? thanks 🙂

vempatyappu
Level 7
You can get one from amazon actually or ebay. But on ebay you might not be sure if it's original or not. I also remember something about asusparts.eu where you can get all kinds of OEM parts for G751. If you're going through aeolisio you can always ask him.

Evil_Hotdog
Level 7
I doubt it has anything to do with the BIOS, since I didn't change anything about it since I got the laptop, neither did I recently installed any updates prior to the issue happening.
I see a new battery is quite costly (around 100€), would it be ok to use the laptop without the battery? I did try this already, and as I wrote before, the blinking led still happened without the battery installed.
Is there a way to check the motherboard for errors, without having to send it in for RMA?

By the way, the led started blinking again after 2 weeks of reinstalling the battery, so that isn't a good fix either.