cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula : M.2 heat trapping problem?

Sokonomi
Level 7
I was working on composing a new PC, and I completely fell in love with the formula,
however, something is bugging me a bit.. The M.2 drive, why is it enclosed in a plastic box?

M.2 drives are known to get pretty hot, some of them hit up to 110'C/230'F with sustained transfers.
Wont it be problematic when you stuff it behind the armor plate of the Formula motherboard?

Id hate to spend the extra money on an M.2, only to have it severely heat throttling all the time. 😞
21 REPLIES 21

Raja
Level 13
If heat is a concern, you don't have to install the cover.

It wont look pretty without the RGB LED diffuser though..

Would it be possible to buy an additional cover piece somehow?
If so, I wouldn't mind taking a dremel to it for a nice little heatsink hole.
A half square inch little sink on the controller chip is really all it would need,
but if getting a spare lid is not an option, id be scared of botching a 400 dollar motherboard. :')

Raja
Level 13
The covers are not sold separately.

octavioricci
Level 7
Sokonomi wrote:
I was working on composing a new PC, and I completely fell in love with the formula,
however, something is bugging me a bit.. The M.2 drive, why is it enclosed in a plastic box?

M.2 drives are known to get pretty hot, some of them hit up to 110'C/230'F with sustained transfers.
Wont it be problematic when you stuff it behind the armor plate of the Formula motherboard?

Id hate to spend the extra money on an M.2, only to have it severely heat throttling all the time. 😞

Before you buy something. See how """support""" works when something goes wrong.
When you are planning to buy something, every Asus"support"guy tells you are going to buy the best brand. But beware if you had a problem.
They simply disappear, or answer "return it...".
Just for advice

Good luck

Nate152
According to the Samsung specs the 950 pro can get up to 70c (158F) which is pretty warm but not toasty hot. You can let the cover off as Raja suggests and have a fan blowing across it.

I don't have one yet but I'm contemplating the 950 pro 512GB myself.

Nate152 wrote:
According to the Samsung specs the 950 pro can get up to 70c (158F) which is pretty warm but not toasty hot. You can let the cover off as Raja suggests and have a fan blowing across it.

I don't have one yet but I'm contemplating the 950 pro 512GB myself.
70'c? Try 97'c.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8

Leaving the cover off seems silly, You don't buy a Ferrari and drive it around with the hood off either. With a motherboard that boasts fancy 'armor' plates and RGB lighting, looks are important and shouldn't have to be compromised in order to use all its features...

Nate152
Interesting, I guess it does run hotter than 70c but I haven't seen anyone on Newegg or Amazon complaining about the 950 pro running hot in the maximus viii formula, granted there are only a few reviews.

This should make us all feel better. 🙂

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Thermal...

Basically what it comes down to is "Only use the M.2 for bursts, continuous transfers will gag it."

But for bursts it apparently isnt so good either.
Windows boots and game load times from a 950 pro are almost identical to 850 evo.
http://techreport.com/review/29352/ocz-trion-100-and-crucial-bx200-ssds-reviewed/5

I wanted a faster drive for unpacking archives and such, but it seems M.2 is pointless in both burst and continuous. :'3

Raja
Level 13
This is one of the reasons I prefer U.2 drives.