cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Gene Random Reboot Loop

jvillaveces
Level 7
I had posted this in another thread, but I'm starting this one so as not to hijack the other OP.
I recently finished a new build with an M8 Gene, and it posted on the first try. Installed Windows 10 from USB. Installed drivers. Updated Windows. Enabled XMP profile in BIOS. Started downloading and installing software.
After about 90 minutes of continued, uneventful use, the machine suddenly rebooted, but didn't post, displaying "00". After a few seconds, it spontaneously restarted, this time booting all the way into Windows. About 20 minutes later, the same cycle: turn off, restart (no post), restart by itself, successful boot. This happened 3 or 4 more times, and then it shut down and stayed off.
I turned off the PSU for a couple of minutes, restarted, everything normal again, until the reboot cycle started all over. Eventually, recycling the PSU didn't fix it any more: now the mobo leds turn on but the fans don't spin, and I'm stuck at Qcode 00.
I reseated every connector, every DIMM, and the GPU, no change. I swapped the PSU for an identical unit I had for my next system, no change.
The system was working fine, then it slowly degraded until it no longer posts.

Today I removed all DIMMs, and started testing with one at a time. Every time, the system posted to the UEFI, then, after varying amounts of time, restarted to code 00. When I added a second stick, the post would start, but it would restart just before loading the UEFI. I then installed all four sticks, and I can't get anything but an instant 00, leds on, fans not spinning, except for CPU (the pump) and CPU_OPT (a rad fan), which do spin..

Right now I am updating the BIOS to the latest version, but I'm not too confident this will solve the problem. I won't be happy if I have to dismantle the system to troubleshoot the CPU, because it's a hardline build in a small case, and ithere is no easy way to drain it, so taking it apart would be a major pita.

CPU: core i5 6500
RAM: 16 GB (4x4 GB) Corsair Vengeance 2400
GPU: EVGA 980 TI SC
PSU: Seasonic 1050XM
Storage: Samsung 950 Pro m.2
Cooling: D5 pump in EK Revo Xres top, EK monoblock, EK FC block and backplate for the GPU, EK rads, Vardar fans
The system was extensively leak tested, first with air pressure and then wirh an external PSU, before powering up. I'm confident I have no leaks.

EDIT: I assume the BIOS update worked, but I haven't been able to verify it. As soon as I switch on, I get 00, with any number or combination of ram sticks. At least I know by now that the RAM is not the problem. The PSU has also been eliminated, because the situation is identical with two separate PSUs. If I understand correctly, this leaves either the mobo or the CPU as culprits. I guess I will have to tear the system apart after all, because neither can be replaced without starting over. I'm still puzzled that it worked fine for a while and then just decayed. Any ideas???
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hello jvillaveces

Yep you are correct, updating the bios was what to try and sad to hear that didn't help, you tried another psu which is a possibility of causing code 00 and sadly that didn't help either.

That only leaves the motherboard and cpu, if it was anything else you'd be getting some other code than code 00. Instead of playing the guessing game you might as well RMA both the motherboard and cpu.

Other things that can cause code 00

A short somewhere
Bent cpu socket pins
8 pin cpu power cable not connected

Follow this guide using the bios flashback method, if the bios update didn't take it's possible it may help.

Format an empty usb flashdrive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8G.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Chino
Level 15
There's no other way around. You will have to disassemble your system. Then start by inspecting the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.

Thanks Nate and Chino! The system is already in pieces. I had one last go at breadboarding it with just one ram stick and the cpu, nothing else. Unfortunately, no luck.

I disassembled it to return to Amazon, and inspected the socket carefully. No bent pins. Then I screwed up replacing the socket cover, and bent some pins! Aaaaaargh! I had never done it before, and instead of finding out how, I decided to wing it. I don't know if amazon will still honor the return/replacement or I will have to eat the cost of the new board. Either way, new mobo should ship tomorrow. The cpu is over the 30 day window, so I won't be getting another one unless I keep having problems with the new mobo.

Nate152
Your cpu is under warranty with intel for 3 years, it would be a good idea to rma it too just in case.

You'll want to make sure you have the socket pins back in place or Amazon most likely will not warranty the board.