cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 JY @i7 4860 High cpu temp

Sh4Sh
Level 7
So, I've been pretty happy with my G751 after a bit more than a year, run everything smooth and rarely hits high temps (some peaks to 90-92 in Dying Light after some time but that's ok), however I've recently decided to come back to CS:GO and what a surprise.... hitting 95-96 easy and averaging 90-92 after a very short time. Now I know that Source is pretty heavy on the cpu, but as soon as I turn the V-sync ON, the temps drop to 68 average with peaks to 74 degrees... Is it possible that V-Sync OFF alone pushes the hardware that much, especially the cpu? Because the gpu is totally fine below 80 degrees anyway, I thought V-Sync OFF would impact more on the gpu temps... Very annoying since CS:GO isn't really much playable with V-Sync ON
10 REPLIES 10

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
First I would open it up and blow it out. Get a good flashlight and in a dark room look into the red vents and see if it's clogged with dust. There's plenty of threads here about how to blow the dust out of the case. I've had my g751 for a little over a month used daily and it's noticeably dirtier around side ports and inside red vents. Also I hear the 4860 naturally runs hotter than other g751 CPUs. (4710/4720) i hope you get to the bottom of it!

Sh4Sh
Level 7
The laptop is clean, I cleaned it last month and I keep it on a clean desk that I dust every week. Also these temps only happen with this game with Vsync off, which led me to think that it's the game. I tought too many fps would warm up the gpu, not the cpu.
Anyone else had a similar experience with this cpu?

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
An average temp of 90°+ is a cause for concern on the lifespan of any cpu. Are you experiencing performance drops and throttling? I would re-arrange my furniture and put your computer desk near or right in front of a cracked window or near a air conditioner. This will of course worsen any dust issue but will cool it down better until you get a definitive answer. Best of luck! Btw, Would changing v-sync in NCP to on and set to off in-game make a difference?

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
Also, experiment in NCP with "Max pre-rendered frames" setting. It may take some load off of the CPU if set to "1"

Sh4Sh
Level 7
Ok, just for the record if anyone found this, of course my laptop is clean, the fact that this happened only with this game and Vsync off should have speak volume. So the culprit is that the engine will render fps with absolutely no limits if you let it, and when you reach 400-600 fps, well your system will heat, no matter what. My cpu never went on throttling and I never got fps drops, but I could see it going to 90-93 on average, which is not ideal.
Simply open the console with -console and type fps_max 121 to limit your fps to 2x+1 your monitor refresh if you're running 60Hz. Values like 180 o more are probably also ok, as long you don't get in the 300 fps, your cpu should be ok. Personally with 121 fps I am good with aiming and he cpu never goes pas 76 degrees, with an average of 68 degrees. Pretty cool.

Sh4Sh wrote:
Ok, just for the record if anyone found this, of course my laptop is clean, the fact that this happened only with this game and Vsync off should have speak volume. So the culprit is that the engine will render fps with absolutely no limits if you let it, and when you reach 400-600 fps, well your system will heat, no matter what. My cpu never went on throttling and I never got fps drops, but I could see it going to 90-93 on average, which is not ideal.
Simply open the console with -console and type fps_max 121 to limit your fps to 2x+1 your monitor refresh if you're running 60Hz. Values like 180 o more are probably also ok, as long you don't get in the 300 fps, your cpu should be ok. Personally with 121 fps I am good with aiming and he cpu never goes pas 76 degrees, with an average of 68 degrees. Pretty cool.

I have taken my laptop apart, removed all of the dust, and have taken out the CD-ROM to increase airflow. I sat a fan in front of the vents, and manually increaded my fan speed. None of that work btw. Just when I was about to replace the thermal paste, I came across this post, and it f*%#ing worked. I can't believe it was that simple. I'm baffled at how much time I've wasted trying to fix my CPU temperature.

LeonardoB
Level 7
mybe the thermal paste between your cpu and your heatsink is dry and/or loosing it propierties.

Sh4Sh
Level 7
/facepalm

Rares95
Level 8
G751's are notorious for being prone to extremely bad pasting from the factory