ROG Member Array

cant oc my pg279q

hello
    yesterday I bought this new monitor and I want to oc it to 165hz but I cant...
    every time that I try to oc it over 144hz all the icons in the desktop disappear and I cant open any application.
    please help me with this situation,
    thank you

ROG Member Array

someone? please help me

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by conure View Post
    hello
    yesterday I bought this new monitor and I want to oc it to 165hz but I cant...
    every time that I try to oc it over 144hz all the icons in the desktop disappear and I cant open any application.
    please help me with this situation,
    thank you
    That is exactly what happened to me! I did eventually get it to stick...for awhile. My Win 10 desktop could sleep/wake/sleep/wake and it would stick but as soon as I restarted it, I got the issue you describe. It took me several tries with different cables and even a different monitor to get it back to the apparently stable 144hz.

I then tried it again but this time it killed my computer as Windows refused to boot. I had to completely reinstall Windows because of this. I was having other issues with the monitor so I was planning on exchanging it anyway. I'm hoping the replacement does not exhibit this same behavior.

I'll be sure to report back here after I've tested.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by GamerMan View Post
    That is exactly what happened to me! I did eventually get it to stick...for awhile. My Win 10 desktop could sleep/wake/sleep/wake and it would stick but as soon as I restarted it, I got the issue you describe. It took me several tries with different cables and even a different monitor to get it back to the apparently stable 144hz.

I then tried it again but this time it killed my computer as Windows refused to boot. I had to completely reinstall Windows because of this. I was having other issues with the monitor so I was planning on exchanging it anyway. I'm hoping the replacement does not exhibit this same behavior.

I'll be sure to report back here after I've tested.
    thank you for sharing this,sorry to hear that you also have problems with this monitor...
    currently it's on 144hz and it looks amazing but if I bought such an expensive monitor I want to be able to use it to the max and to get him to 165hz...
    I'm not sure what to do,is it worth it to replace this and stay without a monitor for few weeks and risk that the next monitor can have other problems? it look like to get a 100% good monitor you need to be lucky.
    I thought that someone from asus can maybe respond and help but clearly they don't care about their customers...very disappointed.

ROG Enthusiast Array

thank you for sharing this,sorry to hear that you also have problems with this monitor...
    currently it's on 144hz and it looks amazing but if I bought such an expensive monitor I want to be able to use it to the max and to get him to 165hz...
    I'm not sure what to do,is it worth it to replace this and stay without a monitor for few weeks and risk that the next monitor can have other problems? it look like to get a 100% good monitor you need to be lucky.
    I thought that someone from asus can maybe respond and help but clearly they don't care about their customers...very disappointed.
    I agree with everything you said including we'd like someone from Asus to comment on this.

That said, in another thread on this board, someone suggested the other issue I'm having (see attached pic) might be related to either the GTX 970 itself or the GTX 970 in SLI mode. I have to wonder if that might be the cause of both these issues. I would test it further but I had to send my monitor back last week to stay under the 30 day return rule.

I'll absolutely pay close attention to the replacement PG279Q.

Good luck.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_20160321_1116286.jpg  

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array hiong PC Specs
    hiong PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1080
    Graphics Card #2Asus Strix 1080
    Sound CardAsus Strix Raid DLX
    MonitorAsus PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 2TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseLian Li PC-V2120X
    Power SupplySuper Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Beyerdynamic T1
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch Quintet
    OS Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC88U

what graphics card are you using?

ROG Member Array

gtx 980ti

ROG Member Array

I got another question -
    I received a cable that in one side is usb and the other side is a different plug with ss writing on it , what is this cable for?
    in the manual there is nothing about this cable,do I need to plug it to my pc? maybe that's why I cant oc my monitor?

update:
    I'm ashamed to say it but I'm so stupid
    I guess the "problem" was because I plugged the display cable and the hdmi cable to my pc...
    I unplugged the hdmi cable and now its working great
    so now I have only the display cable plugged to my pc - is this how it should have been?
    Last edited by conure; 04-05-2016 at 09:04 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array hiong PC Specs
    hiong PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1080
    Graphics Card #2Asus Strix 1080
    Sound CardAsus Strix Raid DLX
    MonitorAsus PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 2TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseLian Li PC-V2120X
    Power SupplySuper Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Beyerdynamic T1
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch Quintet
    OS Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC88U

I got another question -
    I received a cable that in one side is usb and the other side is a different plug with ss writing on it , what is this cable for?
    in the manual there is nothing about this cable,do I need to plug it to my pc? maybe that's why I cant oc my monitor?

update:
    I'm ashamed to say it but I'm so stupid
    I guess the "problem" was because I plugged the display cable and the hdmi cable to my pc...
    I unplugged the hdmi cable and now its working great
    so now I have only the display cable plugged to my pc - is this how it should have been?
    the USB cable is for the USB hub within the monitor, you do not have to connect it if you do not intend to use the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the monitor.

and yes, you only need to connect the DP cable. the HDMI connection is not recommended for PC use, as you will be limited to 60Hz at 1440p.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hiong View Post
    the USB cable is for the USB hub within the monitor, you do not have to connect it if you do not intend to use the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the monitor.
    Duh for me too. I didn't realize I needed to supply a source to the monitor in order to use the on monitor USB 3.0 ports. Thanks for mentioning this!