cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving new settings in BIOS -> rebooting to A2.

habbich
Level 7
Motherboard model:
Rampage V Extreme/U3.1

UEFI Version:
1701/1902/2001 (doesn't matter which one)

CPU:
Intel I7 5960x

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB:
G.SKill TridentZ - F4-320016Q-32GTZ, 4x8GB kit (rated @3200MHz)

GPU:
MSI 980ti 6G

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives:
M2 Samsung SM951 - 125GB
Samsung 850 EVO - 512GB
Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB
Bunch of other Sata HDDs
Pioneer Sata DVD burner

PSU:
Corsair 850 TX

USB Devices (model/version number):
MS Xbox Adapter
3M Ergonomic Mouse
Logitech G502 mouse
Cooler Master QuickFire TK

Monitor:
DEL U3415W

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D15S
2x Noctua NF-A15 PWM

Case fans:
4x Noctua NF-P14s redux PWM
2x Silent Wings 2 80mm PWM

PC CASE:
Lian Li X2000

Operating system:
Windows 10 Pro x64 activated

Drivers Installed (include version):
Newest from Asus site.

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed:
No

System Overclocked (provide details)?
All stock (BIOS Defaults)

So I got my 2nd replacement (haven't noticed this issue on my previous MB, then again was using the Ripjaws4 kit then) which has a thing...
The MB arrived with 1701 BIOS version (issue was present there as well).
Anyhow, the problem is 100% repeatable - I start by clearing CMOS, booting into stock set BIOS. I punch in my most stable OC settings (125strap, 36 multi, 1.25V vcore, RAM primary timings, voltage and speed, UEFI on) and F10 to reboot.
The system reboots but hangs there with Q code A2 and a line on the screen (Check picture).
I need to shutdown the computer manually and it works normally ever after. Only when OC-ing (suspect the strap change) - It does not happen when I go from OC plan to optimized defaults (strap 125MHz to 100MHz).

Doesn't bother me that much, since only a manual shutdown is needed. Want to know if anyone else stumbled upon the same issue, or am I the only "lucky" one.
4 REPLIES 4

drop4205
Level 12
If you clear cmos go into bios and set default settings and then try it does it hang
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Minsekt
Level 7
i got this always when i was overclocking my ram. to less voltage, frequency too high. too much/not enough vccsa and i got the same. it showed weird qcodes too like usb/ide check and stuff. but it all came back to the ram being unstable. maybe give your ram more voltage.

also disconnect all your usb devices to make sure thats not the problem. with some usb devices connected (even my keyboard, its a custom keyboard tho) the board wont boot either. its annoying to pull it out every boot/restart but i just installed a switch into my table for a usb hub, this way i just flip it everytime i reboot/boot.

The thing is the OC is not unstable (or I could be wrong). After the manual shutdown the anomaly never pops up. Running Mem test, SuperPI, RealBench for a couple of hours. All good.
Pushed the same settings with my previous RVE and never had this glitch (ok, I had a different memory kit then).

If I revert back to Optimized defaults, it does not happen, nor if I clear CMOS.
I will try to keep the same CPU freq as defaults, but just change the strap to 125MHz, see if it happens again (just to rule out OC).

Just to be on the same note - the only time it happens is with the first reboot after saving new BIOS settings. Never afterwards.