cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero suddenly won't boot

WORM
Level 7
After a particularly bizarre incident where my MBR became permanently damaged, I found myself reinstalling Windows on my computer that has been otherwise very good since I built it in September. No issues... until now.

I installed Windows 7 the way I did the first time, and right before I went to bed, I had it check for updates. This takes a long time the first time you do it on Windows 7, but I figured it be done in the morning. When I woke up, I shook the mouse, pressed some keys, but I couldn't wake it up. The power indicator was still on, the fans were spinning, but that's all I could really tell (my monitors were blank).
I forced it to shut down and I haven't been able to power it back on since. I've tried the button on the motherboard and my case, nothing (as in it's actually like I didn't press the button at all. Nothing.). When I looked up this issue, most people tried dropping in another PSU and it worked. I don't have any lying around and I don't think it'd be fair to ask someone I know to pull theirs out of their computer to try it on mine. I did, however, try my power supply on a friend's computer. Powered up just fine, in fact.

If anyone has any ideas how to get my computer up and running again or at least knows what the problem might be, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

baggio2121
Level 7
Take off mobo's battery for 5 minutes then put it back and try again ...

baggio2121 wrote:
Take off mobo's battery for 5 minutes then put it back and try again ...

THIS IS THE KEY!!! I had this issue with my M.2/U.2 960 pro until I reset CMOS!

Thanx for this tipp!!!!!!!

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Are you referring to the button to clear your CMOS?

The Maximus VIII Hero has 3 buttons that I'm aware of. One for power, one to reset, and one to clear the CMOS. I've tried all three. The Button to clear the CMOS works I assume, since all the LED's on the board go off for a moment. Still nothing, can't boot.

Nate152 wrote:
As Chino suggests try clearing the cmos with the green circular arrow button on the back, power down your pc and hold it for 3 seconds then try booting.

If this doesn't help what code is the motherboard LED readout giving you?

Green button? There's a red button on the front for clearing the CMOS, is there a different one I'm not seeing? I pressed the one on the front of the mb and still nothing. Also, since my PC doesn't turn on at all, the 7 segment display is completely off.

Nate152
Hello W0RM

Welcome to the ROG forum.

As Chino suggests try clearing the cmos with the green circular arrow button on the back, power down your pc and hold it for 3 seconds then try booting.

If this doesn't help what code is the motherboard LED readout giving you?

Nate152
Thank you

You are correct the clear cmos button is the small red button beside the reset button, mine is on the back on the I/O panel.

Just to confirm you say there is no code on the motherboard led readout when you try to power it up?

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

You are correct the clear cmos button is the small red button beside the reset button, mine is on the back on the I/O panel.

Just to confirm you say there is no code on the motherboard led readout when you try to power it up?

Yep, that's correct. It is literally as if I hadn't pressed the button at all. Absolutely nothing happens. The led display won't come on no matter what I do (or don't) do.

Nate152
Thank you

That is not a good sign and since you tested your psu in your friends pc and it's fine, this points to the motherboard.

What you can do is try updating the bios and see if that brings it back to life. Format an empty usb flashdrive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

If this doesn't help, remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on the box it came in and see if you can get it to post. If it doesn't post then I'm afraid your board died and you will have to do an RMA.

Report back if you're able to get it to post.