Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array kaese PC Specs
    kaese PC Specs
    MotherboardX99 Rampage V Extreme
    Processor5820K

I experienced the full range of different q-codes when my CPU died... And I dont see a pattern that would unambigeously point to the RAM or anything in your codes so may also think of that option.

ROG Enthusiast Array habbich PC Specs
    habbich PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme U3.1
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32GB TridentZ - F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ
    Graphics Card #1MSI 980TI 6G
    MonitorDELL U3415W
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15s
    CaseLian Li X2000 TYR
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova P2 1000W
    Keyboard MS Natural Keyboard 9000 + CM QuickFire TK
    Mouse Logitech G502 + 3M Ergonomical Mouse
    Mouse Pad Steel Series glass
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Wireless Xbox controler hub

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Sorry habbich...I may be having a bad day but I genuinely don't understand
    Arne,

Bad day and nitpicking... Joke.
    Ok point taken, reading through my posts, I can imagine those are a bit chaotic. Sorry for that. Jap my definition of stable seems to be a bit vague

Will skip to the point..The final goal for me is to have a stable OC. Thus I am always tempering with BIOS. As for the mentioned issues, I've repeated those under default config as well, without any OC. That's why I've wrote it under system config in the beginning of the post.

Anyhow...the weirdest thing just happened. Had my computer off for the past few days (PSU switch on off), since I just could not find the will to go and strip it down and go locate the problem. While I was doing some spring cleaning in my "man cave" I've turn on the computer just for laughs and it POSTed to A2 - but this time with the picture on screen.
    F1 to BIOS and loaded System defaults...puff...I'm in windows writing this post.

Was suspicious on my GPU at the beginning, since during all the resets for the issue in this post, there was once an error that my VGA UEFI is not compatible or smth.

Anyhow I am back on route I guess... Starting from the scratch.

habbich PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960x
    MonitorDELL U3415W
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15s
    CaseLian Li X2000 TYR
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64

Quote Originally Posted by cekim View Post
    1. "unhappy ram" is my first go-to with BF and I've seen it A LOT trying to get 128G to run at full sticker speed
    2. fast-boot - my understanding is that this skimps on training (see #1)
    3. LOL at stress tests... I ran 16 hours of aida64, then into linux ran an hour of my usual daily-driver stuff - no problems - temps great - performance great. Then after everything had idled down, I type in a URL and hit enter. out like a light-switch. Nope, not stable yet.

Stress tests have their limits and they focus on stability under load, but that's only 1/2 the battle (if not less given the gymnastics these chips do at lower loads).
    Yap...I am just experiencing that first hand...I guess marrying my 5960 with TridentZ was not the best idea...Damn those discounts
    I had a great almost 2 month run with my OC settings (regular workflow, besides stress testing) and this kinda took me by surprise.

Ok so I was far from stable, that I am aware and will not lie to myself

The only thing that bothered me with the whole thing is, that when I switched to my other BIOS 1702 and posted to Q code A2 (meaning the system stopped with the regular welcome message - to press F1 and enter BIOS - never used this BIOS chip) but there was NO picture on screen.
    Like the GPU just did not give a damn... And for numerous resets, pulling out mains, removing the battery for a couple of hours. But now after a couple of days, it worked..

Of course I am happy about it, but at the same time worried that some component is slacking on the job...

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by habbich View Post
    Bad day and nitpicking... Joke.
    Sorry, don't want to come across like that but it's difficult to try to help from a distance

If I were you I would do exactly that...start from scratch and set memory up first. Use this memtest https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ry-stress-test to make sure that stock CPU and RAM set up is stable and then slowly OC the CPU...aiming for 4.0 and 4.2 first... still mem stable

I'd also clean install fresh OS download at stock with maybe other memory kit at stock or one stick at stock...just to avoid OS corruption which will no doubt amplify over time...

If the IMC on the chip is not stable with any higher frequencies you may need to accept that and run at 2400....you never know maybe it can do 4.5GHZ at 2400 tighter timings...with less volts etc.

I'd also do my best to use 100 strap and speedstep and adaptive for 24/7 OC...
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 04-04-2016 at 07:27 AM.

habbich PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960x
    MonitorDELL U3415W
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15s
    CaseLian Li X2000 TYR
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64

Sorry, don't want to come across like that but it's difficult to try to help from a distance
    No all good, it was I who took a bit scattered approach. Respect for being so active and helpful. Really appreciate it. Tnx!

I'd also do my best to use 100 strap and speedstep and adaptive for 24/7 OC...
    This! My ultimate goal...

If I were you I would do exactly that...start from scratch and set memory up first. Use this memtest https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ry-stress-test to make sure that stock CPU and RAM set up is stable and then slowly OC the CPU...aiming for 4.0 and 4.2 first... still mem stable
    I've already have the stressapptest on my system, didn't run it yet though.
    Ok, first test the hell out of the defaults, then go for OC on 100 strap (without adaptive) and keep the memory on same freq. Should I leave the RAM timings and voltages on auto or should I fix it (for the first step)?

2nd step, go for OC of the DDR. 3rd - adaptive (or will this one work out of the box if 1st and 2nd are OK)?

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

I'd test at F5 defaults...everything on auto first. Just to see if the CPU can work with the RAM....

If it cant you can try either of several approaches

Try to fix RAM at high frequency....and then see how far on top of that tuning you can take the CPU OC.

Or call it a day...sell the tridentX and put in some lower frequency QVL ram.

Or try to fix ram at 2400 and if that works OC CPU

Baring in mind that if you get ram stable at stock CPU speeds....you'll likely have to further tweak ram while ocing CPU.
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 04-07-2016 at 07:16 AM.

habbich PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960x
    MonitorDELL U3415W
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15s
    CaseLian Li X2000 TYR
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64

Ok so I took some time to play with my system.
    I've run the stressapptest on ubuntu live (from USB) and it went through without any issues on stock settings.

Next step was tuning up the memory up a notch (3GHz, timings and voltage). I've posted to Linux and initiated the stress test. After around 2minutes the system froze.
    I've reboot the system and bam. No more picture on the screen. I've cleared CMOS and saw that the system halted on A2 (first boot), I've pressed F1 and saw on the OC panel the system entered BIOS, but the screen was blank.
    Pressed F10 to save settings and the system booted to windows. Again with no signal from my GPU.

Tried multiple reboots, always the same. Pulled the mains out and waited for 2 hours and started the system again. Nope, no picture.
    Switched to the other BIOS (got a BF Q code again)...did multiple MEMOK reboots and switched between both BIOS chips...Also reflashed the BIOS on one of the chips.
    After a while I switched to the reflashed BIOS (haven't had the picture there either), bam voila - screen was active.

Kinda frustrating...Can't tune my system if every time the picture drops.
    I will get another GPU tomorrow, just to rule out a faulty GPU. Is it possible that the PSU is causing problems? It is the only component in my system I've used from my previous builds and is more than 6 years old.
    If the new GPU will show the same symptoms it will be the next component I'll change.
    If that does not solve it...I guess am left with MB, CPU, RAM.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

If you disconnect mains take out battery at same time...

Not sure about that behaviour...except system is obviously very unstable with RAM that high...I think you will have to assume your memory controller is weak and tune for 2400 maybe and see what OC you can get at that frequency?

Sure, try a different PSU....6 years might be a lot of service at enthusiast level.....

habbich PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960x
    MonitorDELL U3415W
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15s
    CaseLian Li X2000 TYR
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64

Status update:

Did the whole thing all over again... Defaults were tested and confirmed OK...I OCed the CPU (100x45@1.25Vcore) and left the DDR on stock.
    Stressapptest went through like a charm. But as soon as I tried tempering with the memory settings, bam..stop in POST.
    But this time it was always on D6 Q code (also multiple beeps, as in no VGA found), clearing CMOS enabled me to POST to BIOS.
    For sure there is a component defect in my system, since a had a "stable" run for almost 2 months and now I can't change jack s*** on my system for it not to freeze.

I had my suspicions set on this part (GPU), since there was no picture before when clearing CMOS. So I've slot the GPU in the 2nd PCIe 16x slot, to try out if there were any PCIe slot issues. Also unfastened the CPU cooler a little and checked the DDR modules were slotted properly.
    Did the stressapptest again on the same steps with the same results. As soon as I tried raising the freq, timings, or the voltage of the RAM - Q code D6.

OK, swapped the 980TI with a ATI 77xx something (really small, low power GPU)...and it did the trick.
    The RAM and CPU seem to be OK with each other - working stable as did 2 months before the problems began to rain.
    I have the CPU at 4.5GHz and the memory on rated timings&voltage with freq 3GHz. Will try it out with rated 3.2GHz as well.

I am kinda happy now, because I've narrowed down the options - I have a defected 980TI on my hands or even more probable the PSU. The 980TI does pull a lot more than the current little pixel coloring thingy, the voltage drops or other PSU irregularities throwing my system off balance.

I'll be getting a EVGA Supernova P2 in a few days, guess it will only take one run to see whether the GPU is pulling my leg or was it the PSU all along.
    Last edited by habbich; 04-09-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Hmmm....right enough....looks like something needs checking out there...narrowing it down!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast