Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    ROG Member Array

Bios Fail - again

I was hoping someone with an education actually realized they needed to support ATA password for SEDs. If you value security at all, this is important to you. You can't utilize those cool encryption features on your new Samsung SSDs because of the bios.

ROG Member Array

Tech Support Fail

I just wanted to share the excellent "support" I received from Nestor. You'd think he'd have given me a heads up on the new BIOS but nope. You'd think he'd see about getting my concerns to an engineer - nope again. Instead I get this lovely gem...

Greeting

I apologize for the delayed reply, I haven't had the chance to get back to you until now. I understand your frustration and thank you for exercising your first amendment rights and fulfilling your duty in warning potential buyers about this "egregious shortcoming". It sounds like you are extremely dissatisfied with the missing feature by the way you articulate your complaints on Forums, Amazon and Newegg etc.. Apparently, it must be really tough for you not to have this feature on your enthusiast grade Republic of Gamers M8H motherboard and my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you.

According to my Technical Supervisor, unfortunately, we do not have any encryption programed in the BIOS. But he stated you can use software to encrypt the drive like Bitlocker or others 3rd party to encrypt the drive. It is more secure and has latest AES encryptions, too.

TPM 14-1 V2.0 will help you do that. If you'd like to use Bitlocker, get the TPM and than setup TPM (from manual) that comes with it and setup Bitlocker. Apparently, my technical supervisor says, "the old school way is not secure. Very easily hacked, people can do it in seconds" and he advised, use TPM -> Bitlocker for highest security. After further testing, it worked with Maximus VIII Hero I had. I used TPM 14-1 V2.0. There is a TPM connector in Hero (next to ROG_EXT). Just enable it in BIOS and it will register.

Regards,
    -Nestor

What Nestor doesn't realize is TPM is actually less secure, his supervisor is right. If you value your privacy, there are concerns that include the abuse of remote validation of software (where the manufacturer—​​and not the user who owns the computer system—​​decides what software is allowed to run) and possible ways to follow actions taken by the user being recorded in a database, in a manner that is completely undetectable to the user. Think Google/Facebook taking your data but inside your BIOS. If you value security, the FAQ section of the TrueCrypt website states that the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) cannot be relied upon for security, because if the attacker has physical or administrative access to the computer and you use it afterwards, the computer could have been modified by the attacker e.g. a malicious component—such as a hardware keystroke logger—could have been used to capture the password or other sensitive information. Since the TPM does not prevent an attacker from maliciously modifying the computer, TrueCrypt will not support the TPM. Even if you DID want to use TPM, Asus doesn't even sell the correct TPM chip for this motherboard. Irony.

This idiot thinks asking for ATA password is having encryption programmed in the BIOS. That's a misnomer. Encryption takes place on the SED and it uses the ATA Password as it's key. WAKE UP CALL ASUS! ATA Password has been around for a long long time. You cheap skates need to get an update from American Megatrends. Your BIOS is old. AptioV look into it.

Finally, why would I want to waste precious CPU cycles on software bitlocker encryption, when my SED has the hardware to handle it independently? Isn't this supposed to be an enthusiast board?

Nestor is a smart ass who doesn't realize his customer knows more about his product than he does. Tech support for this board is a total fail. What an embarrassment!

Asus doesn't value your security, nor your privacy. This is the LAST Asus product I will own.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8