cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q started flickering at 144hz

zennacko
Level 7
I usually let my computer on all day long, but the screen does turn off and that's okay.
Yesterday everything was working wonderfuly well, but as soon as I woke up today, I get this flickering issue, and colors seem washed off
When I change refresh rate to 60 or 120 I don't get the flickering (which made me believe it could be a displayport cable issue)
I changed ports in the GPU but it didn't fixed the problem at all, will try another cable later but I don't really think it's a DP issue, because...
At 60/120Hz some fonts don't render properly, such as the "Outlook" name in my email page, it's all pixelated and seems "aliased" and I don't think it happens with fonts.
Colors continue to look washed, not as in "TN vs IPS" washed, but washed as in "I could do 16 bit color, now all I can is 12" washed
And when I play games, the font problem comes back, and every white line turns green with movement.

And to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I went to Lagom test and obtained this interesting image that screams RMA in my ears.
http://i.imgur.com/2gEDa2M.jpg

When I first got this monitor back in thanksgiving, I had an all green image, with no bars or white parts in it.

Now for the question: Should I even bother trying to fix it or it simply can't be fixed?
7 REPLIES 7

pbioew
Level 7
Have you already tried a clean driver install?

pbioew wrote:
Have you already tried a clean driver install?

Not yet, but if I do that I'll have to OC my GPU again as it'll lose its OC profile, right?

In case you have OC'ed your gpu it might also be a good idea to test without the OC. I'm not sure if the OC settings of an application like MSI Afterburner will get lost (I don't OC my gpu) but if that's a concern you could of course re-apply the settings after the install.
In any case, make sure you don't have an instance of something like Afterburner of Precision X running while doing a driver install, it might corrupt the driver install.

pbioew wrote:
In case you have OC'ed your gpu it might also be a good idea to test without the OC. I'm not sure if the OC settings of an application like MSI Afterburner will get lost (I don't OC my gpu) but if that's a concern you could of course re-apply the settings after the install.
In any case, make sure you don't have an instance of something like Afterburner of Precision X running while doing a driver install, it might corrupt the driver install.

Reinstalled drivers and tested without OC, same results at 144hz, funny thing is that the monitor reports 144hz on BF4 but I don't get the flickering issue
Same when I change windows to 60 or 120Hz, but one problem that happens no matter what is that horizontal lines (usually the link highlight or when I tab through icons or links) that are usually a couple pixels thick they turn green,
vertical lines remain white no matter how thick in pixels they are. And the font/washed color issues remain regardless of the refresh rate

I'll try the DP cable that came with the monitor in the morning, but I'm beginning to lose faith on my ability to fix this without RMA-ing.

Just tried a new DisplayPort cable (the one that came with the monitor) on a different port in the GPU,
the twitching at 144hz remains, but less severe, however, color issues, font displaying issues, 1~2px thick green horizontal lines when they're supposed to be white,
And almost the same problem in Lagom test, however this time I see more gray and a big green stripe before the white blur on the right side
and only one vertical bar at the green stripe.

EDIT: changing to 60/120Hz makes it green paradise again on Lagom, and with more vertical bars as well.

OsakanHime
Level 7
Sounds like something in the monitors mother board has went bad on you. I would RMA it if a store will not replace it.
誰もがここで私の脳で、待つのか? 😛
裸野に身に:o
http://valid.x86.fr/tnjisw
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/05/28/5qk.png

OsakanHime wrote:
Sounds like something in the monitors mother board has went bad on you. I would RMA it if a store will not replace it.

I got it from Newegg on thanksgiving, so it's very unlikely that they would exchange it for me...