cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Auto Updating

memetic
Level 7
Two times this has happened to me where I turn my computer on and before booting to windows the BIOS says it is updating and don't restart or turn off my computer.

What is this?

I unplugged my two external drives and made sure there were no usb pendrives in. But it still says it is updating.

I finally let it go to see what would happen and finally windows started.

Again, what the hell is this?
10 REPLIES 10

memetic
Level 7
No one ever had this happen?

memetic wrote:
No one ever had this happen?

Not for me. Which BIOS version did you start with, and what BIOS do you have now?

Also, if you installed AI Suite, one of the components is called EZ Update. I don't have it, but it sounds like that's it's function.

drop4205
Level 12
id reload bios on usb stick remame it, power down clear cmos go into bios a reset defaults then go to ez flash in bios and try to rerun the bios again to see what happens.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

Happened when i updated bios a couple of times. Also happenes when i changed from 16gb to 32gb (wtf). But i always let it do it's thing and nothing bad happened. Never happened on a normal boot/reboot.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

memetic
Level 7
It just makes me very suspicious because I already got hacked once in a very sophisticated way.

I'm not taking chances with this, I'm going to wipe everything and start from scratch.

Thanks guys.

Chino
Level 15
If you're not using the external drives, try to disconnect them from your system. Connect them why you need to. I remember a few cases of external hard drives causing boot problems. In one of the cases, it was triggering the BIOS update when there wasn't any updating going on at all.

Also if you have AI Suite installed, turn off the automatic updates.

memetic
Level 7
It just makes me very suspicious because I already got hacked once a couple months ago.

I'm not taking chances with this, I'm going to wipe everything and start from scratch.

Thanks guys.

memetic
Level 7
Does anyone know of a way to protect the bootloader from being tampered with. I've searched but haven't found any options.

Qwinn
Level 11
"Does anyone know of a way to protect the bootloader from being tampered with. I've searched but haven't found any options. "

Isn't that what UEFI and Secure Boot are supposed to do? You get it by disabling CSM.