cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help Replacing keyboard, G750JM

Re7r0
Level 7
Hi,

I've recently had a spill accident which lead to most of the keys on the keyboard not working at all (baclight and touchpad still work).
The only solution I came to is to replace the keyboard but need some help with how to do that. When I took apart the laptop I saw that the keyboard is basically sealed with a rubberish cover I guess to protect the other components in case of spills.
I could't find a way to detach it also (although I still haven't tried taking the cover off completely) however I saw that it's not attached with screws but "locked in" with plastic segments on the sides which I'm afraid will break if I try to take it out. Can post pics later when I'm at home.
I saw on ebay that keyboards are sold seperately from the whole touchpad+keyboard top cover so I guess it can be replaced.
Anyone done a keyboard replacement on a RoG before or have any info?
6 REPLIES 6

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
A credit card, some grown out fingernails and willpower will be your most usefull tools here. YouTube how-to vids help me a ton. Maybe you can find a good one.

Yea, I've already taken the laptop apart, but the thing is I am not sure if the keyboard can be detached from the top panel (which is the entire mousepad, keyboard power button, palmrest board. The top panel costs around 150euro and a keyboard is about 50euro, that's why I want to know if only the keyboard is replacable.
See screenshot for better explanation of what I mean.

Sorry man this is a one piece keyboard. Those plastic like rivets are not not replaceable. Will not have the same feel if you just try and glue them in.

C4RN1
Level 9
Sorry for the late reply,

A few months ago I replaced my fiancee's keyboard on her x401a laptop. It's setup the same as the g750 as it has the keyboard built in.

You can replace just the keyboard but it's much better to get another touchpad/palmrest/keyboard assembly. As ohverclocked stated you will have to break the plastic rivets that hold the keyboard to the frame. Under the black tape you'll find a ton of those plastic rivets with some tiny screws. You will have to save the black tape and everything else you take off of the old keyboard. The old black tape will probably have dirt/debris stuck to it and if you try to clean it you will take the glue off of it.

I used small amounts of crazy glue to put it back together, then used mailing tape to insulate it.

Like I said it can be done... but I wouldn't recommend it.

Figured so... I saw some videos of people replacing riveted keyboards and it didn't look so hard. The palmrest will go to waste anyway so I might as well give the keyboard replace a go before I buy a whole new top cover assembly.
I'll try cleaning/rinsing the keyboard again - already broken, can't do much worse. Maybe a miracle will happen 😄
Thanks for the help guys.

91% rubbing alcohol. Try that and cleaning all of the contact pads. It really depends on what you spilled and how it corroded everything. At the end of the day, a keyboard is just a bunch of tiny switches, so you need to figure out what is blocking the contacts.