cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPM 14 Pin for ROG Maximus VIII Hero

Notator
Level 7
Hi, I've just taken delivery of my lo0vely new Mobo - but I cannot find a 14 pin TPM (Trusted Platform Module) anywhere...
Can anyone help me out with where I can get hold of one please???
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152

Thanks so much Nate - that's the ONLY one I've seen...
I hope they can ship to the UK because I can't find one anywhere in this country!
Much appreciated - I don't suppose anyone knows of any UK supplier do they?

That is NOT the correct TPM chip. Don't buy it. They don't sell it.

They "think" it's only for enterprise users, yet they have it on their enthusiasts boards. lol

Trust me, I own both of these. Doesn't work. They screwed us.

Wondering if there is any update on this issue. Just purchased a Maximus VIII Formula mobo and plan to install Win10 Pro and use bitlocker. According to MS, this requires that a TPM module be installed.

Hoping that this capability is supported on this mobo without adding additional hardware. I see that the BIOS supports key management but there is no mention of TPM in any of the ASUS documentation.

I'm assuming that there are at least a few ROG Maximus VIII users running bitlocker. Comments?

I appreciate the links. This may seem like a dopey question but where on the Maximus VIII Formula mobo is the 14-1 (or 20-1) TPM header? I see nothing in the mobo layout drawing and there is no reference to TPM in the manual.

TPM/bitlocker is "supposed" to be state of the art encryption. It replaced Trucrypt (which requires no additional hw) which I've been using for a very long time.

The module on ebay/amazon has been chronically out of stock on Newegg.... always a bad sign. A newer looking 20-1 FW3.19 module is available but apparently doesn't work on skylke mobos.

One would think that a $400 mobo would have all the hardware needed to support a current release OS like Win10 Pro and all of it's features (like bitlocker) out of the box.

A side concern would be what happens if the TPM module dies? It sounds like the keys are tied to the module that was used to encrypt the HDD/SDD. Is there a way to revover if the TPM module goes bad?

Is there any ASUS documentation on all of this?

Many thanks in advance.

I've beem informed by support (tersely) that the Maximus VIII Formula mobo has no provision to install a TPM board. I presume that there are other Max8 mobos that also do not support TPM. This is possibly a good thing since this capability ought to be native to a $400 mobo anyway. ASUS Support offered zero guidance...... not a very impressive effort on their part.

So the question becomes, is anyone out there running Win10 Pro bitlocker in any M8 mobo that does NOT support TPM?

The BIOS has provisions for key support so I'm up in the air on what to do next. I don't want to pay $200 for Win10 Pro is ASUS doesn't support bitlocker. On the other hand, I don't want to buy the home version and figure out a workaround if my M8F motherboard will support Win10 Pro bitlocker.

Anyone out there running Bitlocker? Many thanks in advance.