cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded G20AJ running 980TI GPU not starting first try, hard reset ok

emitch87
Level 7
Hi,

So, I upgraded my G20AJ to be running a 980TI. I'm using the standard 230W brick (I was having trouble with my other one) and am noticing an odd behavior.

When I boot up, the majority of the time the video card doesn't seem to boot. I then have to hard reset and then it works normally.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I just moved and haven't been able to find my other brick (I think it was a 330W Alienware).
8 REPLIES 8

GoHack
Level 8
You're going to need "BOTH" the 230W and 180W power supplies at the very least. Even then, the 230W may not be enough to support even the GTX 980 Ti. Some people have mentioned using an Alienware 330W instead of the 230W.

The system officially supports up to the regular "non-overclocked" GTX 980 w/4GB memory, w/an Intel i7-4790 CPU, but the GTX 980 Ti draws a lot more power than the regular GTX 980 does, especially if overclocked. This is w/BOTH power supplies.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

emitch87
Level 7
I guess I should have clarified, I am running two PSUs, a 230W and a 180W.

My G20AJ is the Best-Buy model running the I5 and 8GB of ram.

emitch87 wrote:
I guess I should have clarified, I am running two PSUs, a 230W and a 180W.

My G20AJ is the Best-Buy model running the I5 and 8GB of ram.

That's the same one that I started out with.

Is that GTX 980 Ti overclocked? The non-overclocked GTX 980 Ti already draws a lot more power than the standard GTX 980 reference model does. An overclocked Ti model will draw even more. If the card is overclocked, try removing the overclocked settings, and setting them to the standard reference model settings, and see if that helps any.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

emitch87
Level 7
It's not overclocked, stock EVGA. I only have the issue when I first boot if it hasn't been on for a while. Have to hard reset then it works alright. I thought it was the monitor at first, but this is the second monitor I've used that's done it, so pretty sure it's not that.

It is nothing to do with your GPU even though the symptoms sure do seem like it. There is a huge thread here already explaining this so I won't redo what was already said but will try to explain briefly.

It's a bios issue. Did you recently (meaning in the past 6 months) upgrade the bios from the stock to the 703?
I run a gtx980 so not the same gpu but symptoms were the exact same for me. FYI if I removed the gpu and ran off the intel gpu I never seen this problem.
Kinda makes you say hey it's the gpu then right? lol
You might be right but the bios multi gpu changes from the stock to the 703 are what did it to you.
I though it might also be related to cold weather so I made a phone call into ASUS about it. As a matter of fact there is at least one other forum member who agreed with me.
It's warmer now where I live no more winter Yay. That might be helping my case along or it might be that I had this wile hair up my butt one day that I was gonna go all the way back to stock and try this Virtuwatt thingy I heard alot of bad things about. Just to see for myself it is all that bad.
Well it won't work unless your running a 760 card the machine came with lmao. No update either so you can't sue it. Or well at least I couldn't.
To test this all out I ended up flashing my bios back down to the 6xx one we all came with. Then when I was damn good and sure I was done trying to make something work that it clearly seemed to me ASUS was done supporting. I gave up and flashed back up to 703.
My problems have not came back with the black screen start ups.

Another symptom people experience is loud fan spin up when first starting and this symptom is occuring. Maxxed out fans almost it seems. Some say it's the pcie gpu other say it's the system fans. I am definitely saying on my it was the system fans.

Maybe this will help maybe it won't but it is worth a shot.

emitch87
Level 7
Wow, joeg01, you hit it right on the head! Thanks for the tip. I had tried to update the bios when I was running the 750 it came with, but got an error (if I recall correctly). It's been acting alright ever since I made the post, but you did mention the fan speed thing, which I thought was normal.

I'll have to check the bios version when I get home. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, and sorry for making a new post, just couldn't find the info (#googlesearchfailure)

emitch87 wrote:
Wow, joeg01, you hit it right on the head! Thanks for the tip. I had tried to update the bios when I was running the 750 it came with, but got an error (if I recall correctly). It's been acting alright ever since I made the post, but you did mention the fan speed thing, which I thought was normal.

I'll have to check the bios version when I get home. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, and sorry for making a new post, just couldn't find the info (#googlesearchfailure)

the GTX 980ti have a TDP of 250watts and that is not taking in fact it will draw more when its under load, all gpu's in the pc will always run high. yeah change the gpu first and you can either leave your system open and check which fans speed up the fastest, either that or put your hand over the top of the pc to see if its the cpu fans. you sorted now?

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
the GTX 980ti have a TDP of 250watts and that is not taking in fact it will draw more when its under load, all gpu's in the pc will always run high. yeah change the gpu first and you can either leave your system open and check which fans speed up the fastest, either that or put your hand over the top of the pc to see if its the cpu fans. you sorted now?

The only time I ever had a problem was on the initial boot. I had no issues running games on Max (Division, DAI, etc).

After I reset the BIOS to the older version I haven't had a single issue of having to do the hard reset to get it to boot, and it actually feels faster now too.