cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me with my G74sx sound.

callahan9119
Level 7
I used the fix I found here about using thx to make it use the setting "external speakers" so now it's not super quiet. I read someone saying that removing the thx thing will remove the EAX feature, but I can't find that feature to begin with.

While my sound isn't super quiet anymore, it is very empty sounding, is there no equalizer or EAX or anything to make the sound a little richer. I play BF3 with my fiancee and it sucks I am forced to wear headphones because the sound is so pathetic. So while we are in the same room I'm unable to talk to her while playing.

I know there is no sub, but there has to be something I can do to make this things speakers not sound so pathetic.
13 REPLIES 13

dstrakele
Level 14
If you uninstall Creative THX TruStudio, you will then display a configurable equalizer in the "Enhancements" tab of Speaker configuration in Realtek HD Audio Manager. You could try this alternative to see if offers better sound for you. However, the built-in speakers are still low quality and there is not much you can do to make them sound reasonable.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hey thanks man.

I see you in a lot of threads and you seem to know a lot. If I can, I'd like to ask an off topic question...

Is it really necessary to use the backup utility thing from Asus, it says it takes 6 discs. I have a version of W7pro that I may install and I don't wanna lose the stuff like powerboost and other stuff. I had a g50v and doing a clean install totally screwed me, I could never get the turbo thing and other stuff to ever work again.

Is the 6 disk thing the full windows install and everything else, or just the asus stuff. 6 discs seems pretty friggin massive for just asus stuff.

Creating your own DVD's from the hidden ASUS partition will allow you to re-install both Windows and the ASUS drivers and applications - just as it came right out of the box. You can also just hit F9 repeatedly to enter the ASUS Factory Restore on the hidden partition without using the DVD's.

It is also possible to download the ASUS drivers and applications from the ASUS web site if you choose to do a clean Windows install. However, links to more recent versions of the drivers you'll need may be found in the OP in the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread.

callahan9119
Level 7
So I can just install a new version of W7 and after it's installed hit f9 during boot and it will install the utilities and drivers?

No - the ASUS Factory Restore will overwrite the entire partition to re-install an image of the Windows OS with drivers and ASUS apps. Any prior data on that partition will be lost, so be sure to backup your data.

I don't get it, I guess I'll just copy those 6 disks.

Thanks for the replies.

callahan9119 wrote:
I don't get it, I guess I'll just copy those 6 disks.

Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't really take 6 disks...they just want you to be prepared. 😉 Takes four, as I recall.

So, just to clarify a little more, the recovery partition contains an elaborate set of installation scripts and software images, so that if you use that F9 restore method, it will essentially "rebuild" the entire installation exactly as Asus did direct from the factory. ANything on the target partitions will be overwritten. It takes about 45 minutes for the system to perform this silent install procedure.

The recovery disks that you can make with the AI Recovery program are a copy of that partition. If an owner wanted to delete the recovery partition on the HDD....to use that 25Gb for other things, for example....they will have a back-up of the partition on that set of DVDs. If you restore that way, it's a two-step process: first the recovery partition is restored to the HDD, then the factory restore process follows. This takes nearly two hours.

PiaRowley
Level 7
I see you in a lot of threads and you seem to know a lot

PiaRowley wrote:
I see you in a lot of threads and you seem to know a lot

Troll? Spammer?

Whatever...
ASUS G74SX-3DE