cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501VW Recalled from BestBuy?

mwallig
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I originally was going to post about how setting up an m.2 ssd drive didn't work through Samsung's cloning software, and how my booted drive made my screen flash a lot. (hint: just fresh install Windows 10 through a USB drive)

BUT after talking to the Best Buy representative about a screen distortion, she found that Best Buy has removed the G501VW from their online inventory to the extent of removing the sku entirely. Does anyone know the reason for this recall?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
I don't think its been recalled, they just ran out of stock of their version. There was another member on here looking for one from other than Best Buy and until recently they couldn't be found. One must keep in mind that most laptops that they carry are special order. They generally cheap out on at least one component then market it as pretty much the same that you can get anywhere else for the same price or close to it. This also changes the sku slightly. Why do they do this? Because their price match guarantee specifies that it has to be the same sku. If everyone else has something one number different then they don't have to honor anything. Personally I don't play their games. If you go into best buy and pay the marked price for anything they carry you are paying more for it than anywhere else. Sorry chumps, if I find it cheaper somewhere else guess what? Im buying it somewhere else.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
They generally cheap out on at least one component then market it as pretty much the same that you can get anywhere else for the same price or close to it.

The only reason I find this hard to believe is because you can't find any variation of this laptop anywhere. Sure newegg now holds it and people third party are selling this laptop on Amazon, but there is a full spec sheet online saying what this laptop will be able to have. Best Buy was also not selling it as one of their "Blue Label exclusives". It was just a normal laptop that cannot be found in it's online inventory anymore.

JustinThyme
Level 13
It doesnt have to be blue label to be a best buy exclusive. Do you really think it was coincidence that they were the only ones to have it, now they don't and they are popping up everywhere else? I would about bet my left testicle that there is at least one major difference you dont know about, like your display. They did the same thing with the G74SX and everything else was a direct match except the display that BB ordered them with and neglected to list was several hundred cheaper than all the others and they marketed it at the same price as those with the better display. I know, I went through that one and this is when I found out their scam. They later relisted the same product with a BBK number when they got caught. This is nothing new with Best Buy, they have been at it for a very long time. Post up your upc code off the box, out of curiousity I want to see if it matches up to several others that Ive come across that are now selling them. Best Buy will not post the UPC on their website, for the same reasons I've mentioned. only their SKU, which by the way is still there, it just says no longer available.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I have the one at Best Buy and it is exactly the same as the one at Newegg. The model number is exactly the same.
The display is vivid and gets very bright - no light bleed either. I added an SSD and it is super fast now. Kept the 1 TB drive for data...Best Buy just ordered a bunch on a one time deal and that's all they planned on carrying, even though it is a new model. They have done this plenty of times in the past.

After talking with a Best Buy representative, they are recalling them after all. Although they didn't know the reason why, but were going to look into that.

JustinThyme
Level 13
ASUS has not issued a recall.
I can speak only for myself of course but the last place I would be asking about a recall would be a Best Buy representative, especially one that tells you there is a recall but they dont know why. Any recall issued by anyone and anywhere has the details of why.

BigCTM, Post up the UPC number.

UPC is 889349312889. This looks the same as the UPC on this model at excaliberpc.com. The model number is exactly the same as the model at newegg and excaliberpc.

BigCTM wrote:
UPC is 889349312889. This looks the same as the UPC on this model at excaliberpc.com. The model number is exactly the same as the model at newegg and excaliberpc.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know was if the UPCs match, Best Buy will not provide that info, only their SKU number. Just saw Ebay listings that are now all out too, Didnt know Best Buy sold on Fleabay. They sold 212 of them for $799 and ended the last auction on April 1 as they are out of them. Then see some other Fleabay Jackwagon listing at over $1300! LOL

It's back in stock at Best Buy - at full price though...