cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID 5 configuration on Crosshair V Formula Z for Linux (Ubuntu)

tonysonney
Level 7
Hello,
I am trying to build a PC. The main configurations are

Motherboard Criosshair V Formula Z
CPU FX9590
SSD 5x 120GB Sandisk SSD Connected on Sata port 1-5

I have set
Port1-4 RAID
Port5-6 RAID
Board SATA RAID ROM Legacy ROM

Within the AMD ROM Utility have set the RAID array to use RAID mode 5 with all the SSDS totaling 507.99GB. When I restart,
BIOS detects it as one drive 'Logical Drive 1'

Problem

- The more I read, I get the feeling the mobo does not have actual hardware raid controller but fake firmware raid. Can somebody please
confirm whether it is a Hardware or firmware raid? Depending on the raid support, I can narrow down my effort to setup the appropriate raid.

- When I try to install ubuntu on the RAID. Ubuntu detects the storage a s 5 drives of 120GB sda-sde, as if the BIOS RAID configuration never
existed. I would have expected the RAID controller to present the memory as 1 single chunk of 507GB. Can somebody please help? Am I
missing any configuration?

Many Thanks,
Tony
13 REPLIES 13

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Windows detects the full drive?

Could be Ubuntu missing drivers for RAID controller support it it's Yes to the above question? Could you try something like CentOS or Fedora and report back?

I am told the board does not have actual RAID controller, but a firmware which can store RAID information. The OS running on top of it can read this information and runs the OS version of the RAID (which is software RAID). It is useful if you have different OS installed.

I wont be runnung dual OS. So decided to implement ubuntu RAID using mdadm. But so far it is not going well. The desktop installer fails to install grub on /dev/sda and crash.
The server version of it, installs grub. But on reboot it cant identify the drives!

Many Thanks,
Tony

tonysonney wrote:
I am told the board does not have actual RAID controller, but a firmware which can store RAID information. The OS running on top of it can read this information and runs the OS version of the RAID (which is software RAID). It is useful if you have different OS installed.

I wont be runnung dual OS. So decided to implement ubuntu RAID using mdadm. But so far it is not going well. The desktop installer fails to install grub on /dev/sda and crash.
The server version of it, installs grub. But on reboot it cant identify the drives!

Many Thanks,
Tony

I have done this before, and without any problems. Give me a day or so to update my system backup image; I will try to recreate your issue, and I'll put together my step-by-step.

Tell me which Ubuntu version (full version number, please) are you trying to use, so I can download it and mimic your attempt as closely as possible.

Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I have done this before, and without any problems. Give me a day or so to update my system backup image; I will try to recreate your issue, and I'll put together my step-by-step.

Tell me which Ubuntu version (full version number, please) are you trying to use, so I can download it and mimic your attempt as closely as possible.

Z

Well there you have, someone that already experience it and know how to fix it. Let's then wait for a possible workaround.

Thank you Dr. Zchivago for offering to help.

I am not sure whether it would help. But I was using the commands in the link, to create RAID partition. He is using it for storage parttion. But I have been creating 2 raid 5 partitions to mount "/" and "/home" .
Tony

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Try to install CentOS or Fedora to see if everything goes without any problem.

Black Phoenix wrote:
Try to install CentOS or Fedora to see if everything goes without any problem.

CentOS for some reason does not detect the SSDs.

Fedora latest version the installer fails. I cant remember the exact error. But a bit of google search, it was a common problem with a bug.
Opensuse, the installer does not even start, and remained on a blank screen for about 10 minutes before I gave up.

I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04.4 64bit (ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64) version.
At present I have installed ubuntu on the harddrive (not part of raid) and am going to create the raid5 partition on the remaining 5 SSDs to be used as storage.
But I would like to install the OS and home folder in RAID so that the applications I run too are faster.

tonysonney
Level 7
Hi Dr. Zchivago,
Did you manage to get the RAID working using latest Ubuntu 14.04.4?
Many Thanks,
Tony