cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing GeForce GTX 660M in a G75VW

Redemntion
Level 7
So the graphics card in my G75VW has been broken for quite a while. I was interested in getting it fixed but was curious if I could upgrade the graphics card in the process. I've looked around and seen lots of threads about how the GTX 670M will fit in the MxM slot but that you need the specific heat sink that this card uses. I'm hoping to get some definitive answers so I purchase the right graphics card to replace my broken one. Any help would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Dreamonic
Level 12
I've written a guide for this kind of upgrade here and for the money, go 670MX: http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/35/

Thanks Dreamonic for such a detailed guide.

Redemntion
Level 7
You mention at the end of firmware update guide when you install the new graphics card to do a repaste on the CPU. Is there a specific brand you recommend for this?

Dreamonic
Level 12
Specifically, I recommend MX-4 or Gelid GCX. I find both ideal even to use as thermal pad replacements (if repasting everything on your GPU for instance). Since everyone has their preference and it's a much debated topic, personally speaking, you can't go wrong with either one of those (good bang for buck).

Redemntion
Level 7
So I've managed to install the new GPU into my computer but now I'm stuck in your directions for installing the drivers. At step 4 in your guide, you say to find the text string "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]" in the nvami.inf file. I'm unable to find such a string in the file using the find function. Any thoughts as to what I'm missing?

Dreamonic
Level 12
Are you using Windows 10 or Win 8/8.1? In which case look for "NVIDIA_SetA_Devices" instead and you'll find it.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Are you using Windows 10 or Win 8/8.1? In which case look for "NVIDIA_Devices" instead and you'll find it.

Depending which OS you're using, the NVIDIA_Devices string will have either:

NTamd64.6.0 (Vista)
NTamd64.6.1 (Windows 7)
NTamd64.6.2 (Windows 😎
NTamd64.6.3 (Windows 8.1)
NTamd64.10.0 (Windows 10)

Pick the string of NVIDIA_Devices that corresponds to your OS and then add the custom ID for your 670MX there (while still following my guide).

EDIT: The latest drivers no longer uses the previous string I had in my guide anymore. I've corrected and updated it with what I've mentioned here now.

Redemntion
Level 7
So since I'm using Windows 7, would the string I'm looking for be something like this: "[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]". Also, if I want to go to Windows 10 at some point, should I upgrade before installing these drivers? Lastly, my screen is displaying pink where white should be. I'm wondering if I accidentally didn't connect a cable back correctly, if it's due to not having the proper drivers installed, or the graphics card is faulty in some way.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Yes, that would be the string. Either or on updating to Windows 10. If you update the drivers after Windows 10, then you'll have to do the same process. The pink screen is caused by the panel connector to MB. Might have to reconnect it, check for pinches in it. Might have to change the angle on the panel and see if it changes back to white. Not likely the card but try the panel connector first.