cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero worth it ?

zepsy4x
Level 7
HI I want to do a new build with à i7 6700k. My question is : the hero is à good Motherboard or not? I have see people talking about sound popping issue. Is that really annoying ? Is there à fix?
And what about a msi gaming m7 vs à hero? Are there others issue related to this car?

I have a xonar phoebus with a lot of issue that's why I prefer to ask before buying another asus item.
12 REPLIES 12

Janne-71
Level 7
I have hero myself, currently no issues. I'm using onboard sound though. Had shutdown issues first months but that solved By not using Aisuite 3. Some others may be able to use it i suppose. Solid board.

xeizo
Level 12
Onboard sound is good, OC is good, M.2. NVMe is good, very good bios, fan control is great, AI Suite III is the safest to avoid. I got mine with a rebate, it was really a no-brainer, still happy after a couple of months.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
I have the Hero Alpha and very happy with it. If you can stretch the extra £50 then you gain U.2 ports and RGB headers. But I suppose it depends on if you have a use for these features?

rickytuk
Level 10
It's a solid board with a really good bios for tweaking. Any questions or problems you might come across you can always come here and get a quick answer to fix the problem. I'm sure MSI has a similar kind of Forum with equally knowledgeable people. I love the look of the Hero and the layout is sensible so I would not hesitate to recommend you get one.

xeizo
Level 12
The killer feature with Asus-boards for me is the fan-control, it's near perfect and as far as I know none of the other makers have done as well.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Stukow
Level 7
also no problems with sound here

there might be shutdown problems with several boards but there are also some solutions also in this forum

heard the msi m7 is a little bit better for Overclocking to get the last % improvements but the Asus Hero should be enough even for experts

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
I have the Hero and recommend it.
Had a sound popping issue and in my case was a sound driver issue.
Installed win10 default sound drivers and problem is gone.

M8H user for about 4 months.
Positives:
Great board, awesome fan control with plenty fan headers, great OCer, nice looks, stable and so far reliable, plenty of VRM power, cool AI Suite III software (not sure why it does not work on some setups), great BIOS with any tweaking you can think of.

Negatives:
Popping on board sound issue (which I don't think it will ever get fixed), PHC light control not available in BIOS, no dual LAN

So far, the experience I've had with this board is awesome. The positives far outweighs the negatives and if ASUS ever finds a way to eliminate the popping sound issue, I would recommend it to anyone.

Shades228
Level 7
If you're wanting to build a high end system with future upgrade options then no. If you're looking for a mid grade board and you really want it to be an Asus then yes. I bought mine when it first came out so I knew I would be dealing with buggy bios and driver issues. While those have gotten slightly better over the releases there are still quite a few issues without having to do specific work arounds. They also handicapped the board in terms of upgradability in the future when it comes to m.2 configurations. At this point there are better boards for less money. I haven't looked at other Asus boards that have been released but overall I wouldn't recommend one to anyone. I've been using Gigabyte boards when building system for friends and have been more impressed than my Hero VIII.