cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone opened his asus rog gl552jx maintenances hatch?

jose_jayant
Level 7
If yes then i have a question.
What is that black plastic strip beside the hard drive is it for lifting the hard drive or something else like conducting some sort of signal/data or something like that?
I actually tucked it in the gap beside the hard drive.

just like the pictures in this website: http://laptopmedia.com/news/inside-asus-rog-gl552-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/
but i have seen in a different website that the plastic strip is not tucked in , just like here : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-GL552JX-Notebook-Review.147902.0.html
Had i done something wrong? Would this lead to any problem in the future?
9 REPLIES 9

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
No... That flexible plastic strip is to help to disconnect the HDD from the SATA3 and Power Connectors, helping you to use it to slide the HDD.

If it's tucked on top of the HDD or under it, or even in the small gap between the HDD and the chassis doesn't have any influence or causes any problem.

jose_jayant
Level 7
I Have not tried disconnecting the hard drive but is the strip attached to the hard drive or to something else. Is it possible to remove the hard drive without the plastic strip?

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
It's attached, is just a pooling strip from the caddy were the HDD is screwed.

Similar to this one:

Now i get it.I just hope that the plastic strip is not fragile. Is the plastic strip fragile?.

And yes i didn't fully understand your first reply. I wanted to know if tucking the plastic strip in the gap beside the hard drive create any problem? Its just tucked not stuck.

Again no problem... and it's not that fragile. I've removed enough laptop HDD caddies to assure you it's very resistant.

jose_jayant
Level 7
Thanks for helping me. Last but not the least what would happen if i broke those plastic strips will it be possible to remove the hard drive.If yes then how?

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Yes it is, with a small card on each side, near the connection, and using as a lever.

Can the hard drive melt the plastic strip or am i over thinking?

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
You are overthinking...

For plastic to melt you need to be at least 100 degrees Celsius. No HDD can achieve that kind of temperatures.