Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Janne-71 View Post
    Somehow i suspect your laptops gpu/psu is not strong enough to play 144hz...could this be possible? Find out about the model what kind of refresh rate can it play. It takes a powerfull desktop to play fluently new games over 100fps/100hz in 1440p...i believe takes atleast 2 980 ti cards.No laptop can match that. If your lappy is meant for 1080p that's another issue, bigger resolution takes lot more power.
    I'm not a hard core gamer, only play some times to relax and get my mind off so 144 Hz aint a big deal like I said I just wanted to for once feel how the experience is sitting in front of a 144-165 Hz monitor but seems like that won't be happening anytime soon, anyways. You are right perhaps - I got gtx 960 maybe that isn't so powerful but I find its performance quite decent in some of the games I play. Perhaps now you can tell me what's the max refresh rate it can deal with. Yesterday I was quite lucky to get 100 Hz but it didn't last for that long. Yeah my laptop is 1080p.

Strange thing is I was reading across different forums and people who had worse graphic cards were able to play in high refresh rates.

ROG Member Array

I understand but its unfortunate I can't do that as I only got a laptop, would have liked to test it on a desktop maybe the results would have been different. So are you telling me displayport and mini displayport aren't the same thing? How are they different? I agree it is the monitor but now I feel like my gpu is to blame as well..

What brand according to you is the go brand for stuff like this, if not asus?

Frakking frustrated Array Dysternaut's Avatar

It's not your GPU. My 960 was fine in both 120 hz and 144hz when I had my horrible lightbleeding abysmally bad Asus monitors.

Technically minidisplayport and displayport are, of course the same, I believe. I just like to try as many different things and configurations as possible when trying to find the root of an issue.

If you want a G-Sync enabled monitor with an IPS panel, you are out of luck. Tried both Asus and Acer, and both were equally bad. So I ended up with a TN panel from Acer, which is very good, luckily. Be damned if I touched another Asus product again after the way their so-called customer service have treated me!

Did you RMA the monitor yet? Or what did you decide to do?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dysternaut View Post
    It's not your GPU. My 960 was fine in both 120 hz and 144hz when I had my horrible lightbleeding abysmally bad Asus monitors.

Technically minidisplayport and displayport are, of course the same, I believe. I just like to try as many different things and configurations as possible when trying to find the root of an issue.

If you want a G-Sync enabled monitor with an IPS panel, you are out of luck. Tried both Asus and Acer, and both were equally bad. So I ended up with a TN panel from Acer, which is very good, luckily. Be damned if I touched another Asus product again after the way their so-called customer service have treated me!

Did you RMA the monitor yet? Or what did you decide to do?
    Oh ok, I thought you referred to as the gpu being the problem which is why I said so. Well if 960 is fine then in my case I must have received a faulty one.

I thought so too, only they differ in port size, However, No it doesn't matter whether its G-Sync or not but HAS to be IPS or PLS because my eyes can't take TN for some reason. TN causes a lot of eye strain and discomfort for me so that's out of the way although honestly I know what you are getting at and I totally agree 120-144 Hz are best on a TN panel than compared to any other as far as gaming and not colour is concerned.

I decided to RMA the monitor and did so 2 days ago, its better to get rid of something which isn't going to be useful or serve the purpose but I'm quite disappointed at that I couldn't get what I wanted off the monitor.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by singh_harman007 View Post
    Oh ok, I thought you referred to as the gpu being the problem which is why I said so. Well if 960 is fine then in my case I must have received a faulty one.

I thought so too, only they differ in port size, However, No it doesn't matter whether its G-Sync or not but HAS to be IPS or PLS because my eyes can't take TN for some reason. TN causes a lot of eye strain and discomfort for me so that's out of the way although honestly I know what you are getting at and I totally agree 120-144 Hz are best on a TN panel than compared to any other as far as gaming and not colour is concerned.

I decided to RMA the monitor and did so 2 days ago, its better to get rid of something which isn't going to be useful or serve the purpose but I'm quite disappointed at that I couldn't get what I wanted off the monitor.

Hi i am on the same problem, My laptop is rog g751jt-wh71 970m 3gb ddr5 gpu dual. Still I dont get Gsync on my pg279q , My dvdrom busted, I think so I coulnt
    install the disk the monitor came with. So to be sure I downloaded the drivers from asus. Please help Currently on 2560 x 1440 @ 60hz .
    Im using a different display port to mini display port because swift came with a dp to dp , my laptop only has mini dp , wondering if getting an adapter will solve
    the issue

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Kotronas PC Specs
    Kotronas PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 5930k @4.4
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M4B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix DC3OC 980 TI (on EK Predator 360 with QDC)
    Graphics Card #2Asus Strix DC3OC 980 TI (on EK Predator 360 with QDC)
    MonitorAsus Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung NVME 950 pro 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 840 pro 256gb
    CPU CoolerEK Predator 360 QDC + 2x 980 ti strix waterblocks
    CaseCorsair 750d
    Power SupplyCorsair ax1500i
    Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB
    Mouse Logitech g700s
    Headset Logitech g930
    Mouse Pad Steelseries 9hd
    OS Windows 10 pro
    Network RouterAsus rt-ac68u

Maybe the cable you are using is 1.0 ? You need a dp cable 1.4 if i am not wrong.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z97 Wifi-Pro
    ProcessorI7-4790k
    Memory (part number)32GB G-Skills
    Graphics Card #1MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1Samsumg 951 Pro m.2 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    Power Supply1600W 80 Platinum
    OS Win10

I hate laptop GPU's

Quote Originally Posted by Kotronas View Post
    Maybe the cable you are using is 1.0 ? You need a dp cable 1.4 if i am not wrong.
    To anyone having Refresh rate issues with this monitor. Start by checking your cables first. spend a couple $ and make sure you have a Displayport 1.4 for this monitor (1.2 should work up to 120/144hz but I have not tested it with this whole laptop thing). Install your monitor driver and verify it is there and your monitor is not showing up as a random PnP monitor in the device manager. Reinstall your video card driver with a clean install. Reboot. check the monitors settings from the monitor OSD options and verify your settings are how you want them. TURN ON THE OSD FOR FPS. This will display what your GPU is putting out and is kinda important. Last check your nvidia control panel settings, Make sure G-Sync is turned on. all the other settings, since you just did a clean install they should be at the default settings and be pretty much good to go.

At this point in the Nvidia settings you should be able to see the refresh rates for lowest-165 (or 144\120 if your card doesn't support 165). Set this to the highest possible and see what happens. You should see the monitor FPS display turn to the setting you just picked . If you get flickering at this point the issue is possibly your DP CABLE (if you didn't get a new 1.4 cable yet). To test this try settings your Resolution down to 1080p instead of 1440p. Then go back and change the hz to 165. If this works it's definitely worth it to buy a new cable and test it out. If you already bought a new 1.4 DP cable you probably have a compatibility issue. That's all there is to it. I would start by asking the manufacturer if it is a known issue on their part. I went through 5 of these monitors and none of them had any frame rate issues running on my desktop with the DP 1.4 cable provided. If you need a Mini DP to DP then put down some $$$ and get a 1.4 cable.

Additionally to the issue of not being able to user the monitor by itself (forced into extended or duplicate mode). This should not be an issue, it is not correct. You should be able to close your laptop lid and run the monitor by itself. Try turning on your computer and closing the lid right after you hit the button to turn on. It should force the laptop to turn on while using the monitor as the display. If I was having issues with this I would be reinstalling my Windows OS to rule out OS issues.

Hope its not a compatibility issue for all you laptop users.

Good luck and God Speed
    I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2