cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme 3.1 BSOD on Boot from too many HDDs

LeftyInSpades
Level 7
This is one of the weirdest problems I or the techs that built my PC have ever come across, so please bare with me, while I try to explain.
The tower is this:
Aventum III PC
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME 3.1
i7 5960x @ 4.62GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000 @ 2,748 MHz
980Ti Asus Strix w/core @ 1,319 MHz and bus @ 2,002 MHz
OS Drive an Intel 400GB 750 PCI-E SSD w/NVMe
2x1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD in Raid0
2x6TB Seagate SATA3 7200 RPM HDD in Raid0
2x4TB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD in AHCI
2x2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD in AHCI
PSU 1200W Corsair AX1200i
OS Windows 7 Professional

Now here's the problem. On boot, no matter what I do, I get 1-3 BSODs, right after the Windows Splash screen as it tries to go to desktop. It then goes to the black screen with start recovery or start normal. Click start normal and it either finally boots up or repeats the same process 1 or 2 more times. I've gone through Windows Startup repair, ran memtest, ran every diagnostic and test available, went through and reinstalled or updated ALL the hardware drivers, still the same thing. It's not the OC, because once it's it's started, it runs like a monster, I've even ran 4 stress tests simultaneously on it for more than 12 hours and it barely even kisses 80C for split seconds and I even tried it with default clock. What makes this BSOD even more troublesome is the fact that it leaves no event log, no memory dump, literally no sign that it even happens, so I'm assuming it's still in the early part of boot, before Windows is actually fully booted. What I discovered is that if one of the drive slots is pulled out it boots up perfectly fine. Now here's the specifics on that. My tower has 8 slots. The top 4 has 2 pairs of drives in Raid 0 (2 Raids) while the bottom 4 slots are AHCI. It does not matter what kind of drives, what size of drives or which slot, but at least one of the AHCI drives must be pulled out for the BSODs on boot to permanently stop. It can't be cables, because as I said, it doesn't matter which slot and all the different drives I've used have been tested, both with software and on other towers, showing they're perfectly healthy. Along with the fact that once actually booted, the drives work and test fine. The software on the PSU also says everything's fine with the PSU and even the PSU was tested in a similar setup with no problems. I'm being told that I may have to RMA the board, but I would really like to avoid that if possible, because the cooling system on this thing is kind of tedious and I'm not real eager to dismantle this:

So, before I try to RMA the board, does anyone have any ideas as to why it dies when it has 8 hard drives on boot even after I tried just about every fix possible?
21 REPLIES 21

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
- If the PC fails to boot, it's all AHCI drives appearing on BIOS? If yes, it's the HDD all individually wired or they are hot swappable? (I had a problem in a Cooler Master HAF XB Evo case with a Hot Swap PCB on the front that some times made the disks to not be detected, having to remove them and connect them again. It were solved when I removed the PCB and hard wired each one).

- You have the Molex Power Connector on the bottom of the MB connected (I know that it's for PCI-E power help but since it's so many SATA3 drives connected, isn't it also pushing the PCI-E lanes for extra power?)?

- Can you measure the 12V line from the PSU (Yellow and Black wire in a molex) with all the components working using a DMM?

- You have the last available BIOS release right?

That's some small things that could look not related but it could be the reason why!

At the end, not related, probably one of the most beautiful industrial towers that I have seen, I'd love if they sold it without the hardware.
What a beast of a computer you have there, nice one!

GoNz0-
Level 10
Try the modded BIOS as they have updated raid oRoms and have fixed a lot of drive related issues.

Black Phoenix wrote:
- If the PC fails to boot...

It doesn't completely fail to boot. It just gives one or a couple BSODs in the same spot, then it finally boots.
BIOS sees everything, once booted everything runs super, it's just to get rid of the BSOD on boot, to give it a clean startup, one of the drives has to be removed.
All the drives are non-hot swappable and hard wired. As for the molex, I have no idea, but with this tower redlined, with EVERYTHING in use, including a CPU stress test running in the background, copies being written to ALL 9 drives from external, a 4K vid playing, multiple browsers open with tabs auto-refreshing, barely gets up into the 600's range of watt use and it's on a 1200 Watt Corsair AX1200i PSU.
That's probably the weirdest thing, once I get passed the retarded BSODs on boot and it's started up, I can beat on this thing with a stick, I've even tried to intentionally crash it and it doesn't even blink. The only thing that I know crashes it, is if I'm encoding and doing a bunch of other stuff and I try rebuilding the index (on about 12 TB of data), not that I care, since Windows indexing sux for databases that big so I use apps like Ultra Search and Everything.
I took the PSU to a PC repair shop, they tested it and said it was perfect.
As for the drivers, yeah, all the latest, I even intentionally removed them individually,, wiped the registry and installed the latest versions clean individually.
I just noticed though that I don't have the latest BIOS, my BIOS is 1801, now they're up to 2001. I think I might try that next.

Also thnx for the PC appreciation.
This is the beast in full glory:

GoNz0- wrote:
Try the modded BIOS as they have updated raid oRoms and have fixed a lot of drive related issues.

Modded BIOS? Which one, where? Are you referring to the new 2001 version that came out recently or something else?

Chino
Level 15
Update your motherboard to the latest BIOS using an USB pendrive and the EZ Flash Utility inside the BIOS. Once the process has finished, clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. Then report back your results.

Chino wrote:
Update your motherboard to the latest BIOS using an USB pendrive and the EZ Flash Utility inside the BIOS. Once the process has finished, clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. Then report back your results.

Updated the BIOS to latest version, v2001, tried it with no OC just on default clock/settings, still the same thing, unless I yank out at least one AHCI hard drive it gives me repeated BSODs, usually 1 to 3, until "Start Normal" finally works. That wouldn't even bother me that much, since I seldom shut down anyway, but sometimes it enters an eternal BSOD loop where it won't stop and Start Normal won't work until I manually shut it off when it goes back to the black screen and I yank a drive before restarting it. That is not good for hardware or software and definitely unacceptable.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
The molex connector I talked about was this one (EZ-Plug):

On the Bottom. It is connected?

When the PC does the BSOD and restarts, did all drives appear in the BIOS or are detected?

About the modded bios, he's talking about this ones - http://www.win-raid.com/t1108f16-Solved-How-to-mod-an-ASUS-Rampage-V-Extreme-BIOS.html - but use it at your own risk.

I have a similar system but only with 2.5" Drives (2x Sandisk X300S 128GB 2.5" RAID0 (OS) + 4x Western Digital Black 750GB 2.5" RAID10 (Storage)) but with the default BIOS from Asus. So I can't really reproduce your problem because mine is OK restarting.

Black Phoenix wrote:
The molex connector I talked about was this one:

On the Bottom. It is connected?

When the PC does the BSOD and restarts, did all drives appear in the BIOS or are detected?

About the modded bios, he's talking about this ones - http://www.win-raid.com/t1108f16-Solved-How-to-mod-an-ASUS-Rampage-V-Extreme-BIOS.html - but use it at your own risk.

I have a similar system but only with 2.5" Drives (2x Sandisk X300S 128GB 2.5" RAID0 (OS) + 4x Western Digital Black 750GB 2.5" RAID10 (Storage)) but with the default BIOS from Asus. So I can't really reproduce your problem because mine is OK restarting.

Yeah, the Molex is connected, but I think it just drives my Cooling Control Card and fans/pumps.
I have no way to tell if BIOS is actually detecting the drives when the BSOD actually happens, but if after the BSOD when it goes to the BIOS splash screen and I press F2 to go into the BIOS all the drives are there recognized and if I don't go into BIOS and let it go to the black screen with Start Recovery or Start Normal and I can start it normal, when it boots up all my drives are there too. Also, yeah you only have 6 drives, My starts sweet if I only have 6 drives in it, but I have 9; 1 PCI-E and 8 SATA. To stop the BSODs I just have to pull out 1 ACHI SATA drive. If it becomes too much of a headache, I might just toss the 2x2TB drives and throw in one 4 or 6 TB drive. These high end boards have a bunch of crap put on them, but I really don't think they're supposed to be filled up quite the way I have.I even have almost all my PCI slots filled too with a USB 3.1 card and a sound card, besides my GFX and SSD. There's gotta be some kind of firmare and/or driver conflict somewhre and it has to be before Windows properly boots because these BSODs leave no logs and no memory dumps.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
It's if you remove any of the AHCI drives, not a specific port?

So basically if you remove one of the two 4TB drives or one of the two 2TB drives the system stops doing BSOD right?

You had removed all of the AHCI drives at least once and the PC started Ok?

I know that it's questions without any solution but I'm trying to cut all the possibilities here.

Black Phoenix wrote:
It's if you remove any of the AHCI drives, not a specific port?

So basically if you remove one of the two 4TB drives or one of the two 2TB drives the system stops doing BSOD right?

You had removed all of the AHCI drives at least once and the PC started Ok?

I know that it's questions without any solution but I'm trying to cut all the possibilities here.

Yeah, I've tried EVERY variation, using 6TB HDDs, 4TB HDDs, 2TB HDDs, and 1TB SSDs, I've formated drives deleted and created Raid volumes, it does not matter which slot or which Hard Drives, just one of the AHCI slots has to be empty and it gives me a clean boot.