cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Overclocking Issue

Puppetmaster198
Level 7
Hello

I have had this current system for about 8 months now but have never managed to get my RAM stable @ 2666MHz so I am looking for some help.

The RAM I have is Kingston Predator 4x 4GB DDR4 2666 https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX426C13PB2K4_16.pdf

If I have everything set to auto and set the 2666 XMP profile in the BIOS, I pretty much get an instant bluescreen when trying to boot Windows. Initially I had a bit of play but didn’t really get anywhere so I asked on the forum where I bought the components.

8 Pack (who I’m sure you know of) replied with these settings:

Reset Bios.
Boot
Into Bios
Set XMP, make sure for 2666mhz you are on 125 strap this is native multi. When you set XMP this should be set automatically.
Then set 32 multi for 4g
Cache 26 or similar so as to keep this in check.
Then
Core 1.2
Cache 1.2
SA 1.15
Vccin 1.85
Memory volts 1.35

In digi power set all the memory power delivery to optimised and maybe level 6 LLC.

I tried these settings (minus the CPU overclock) and had some luck, usually booting into to Windows and having no problems for a few hours but would always get a bluescreen in the end. Typically it would pass 32m of SuperPI without any issues, but at some point later while playing games I would get a bluescreen (usually after a few hours).

After doing a bit of reading around, I discovered that sometimes the CPU is very specific about what SA voltage it needs. I played around with a range of 1.00 to 1.17 with increments of 0.01. I found 1.14 / 1.15 to be most effective allowing me some time in Windows but still resulted in a bluescreen in the end. Most other settings caused a bluescreen on boot.

Any suggestions? I want to overclock the CPU but wanted to get the RAM sorted first.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What are the messages with the BSODs

What multiplier and frequency is the CPU running at?

Try a bit more DRAM volatge...1.36...1.37...1.375 maybe

Whocrashed just shows this sort of thing when it is crashing in Windows

This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFFA8C0722A294)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFA8C0722A294, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF803EA71958C)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

30x 125 is what I have been testing with for the CPU.

Will try some more voltage on the memory and report back.

Puppetmaster1986 wrote:
Will try some more voltage on the memory and report back.

That message is pretty typical of RAM not holding up....

and...OK so basically CPU is stock frequency...

So yeah I would try a bit more voltage to the RAM first

I'd also leave cache on auto multi and voltage and see what the system sets...

Qwinn
Level 11
My 2666 kit worked on 100 strap on xmp settings first try. If you haven't tried the 100 strap yet, give it a shot.

Chino
Level 15
Puppetmaster1986 wrote:
Hello

I have had this current system for about 8 months now but have never managed to get my RAM stable @ 2666MHz so I am looking for some help.

The RAM I have is Kingston Predator 4x 4GB DDR4 2666 https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX426C13PB2K4_16.pdf

If I have everything set to auto and set the 2666 XMP profile in the BIOS, I pretty much get an instant bluescreen when trying to boot Windows. Initially I had a bit of play but didn’t really get anywhere so I asked on the forum where I bought the components.

8 Pack (who I’m sure you know of) replied with these settings:

I tried these settings (minus the CPU overclock) and had some luck, usually booting into to Windows and having no problems for a few hours but would always get a bluescreen in the end. Typically it would pass 32m of SuperPI without any issues, but at some point later while playing games I would get a bluescreen (usually after a few hours).

After doing a bit of reading around, I discovered that sometimes the CPU is very specific about what SA voltage it needs. I played around with a range of 1.00 to 1.17 with increments of 0.01. I found 1.14 / 1.15 to be most effective allowing me some time in Windows but still resulted in a bluescreen in the end. Most other settings caused a bluescreen on boot.

Any suggestions? I want to overclock the CPU but wanted to get the RAM sorted first.

Thanks

Try setting Rampage Tweak to Mode 1.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That message is pretty typical of RAM not holding up....

and...OK so basically CPU is stock frequency...

So yeah I would try a bit more voltage to the RAM first

I'd also leave cache on auto multi and voltage and see what the system sets...

I tried setting RAM voltage to 1.36, 1.37 and 1.38 the other day but still got a bluescreen.

Have left voltage at 1.38 and set cache and cpu voltage to auto. Forgot to set cache multi to auto but will do that on next reboot.

Chino wrote:
Try setting Rampage Tweak to Mode 1.

I presume this was under RAM timing? If so I have set it to 1. What does this do?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

So tried the above options including setting cache to auto but still no luck - still getting the same bluescreens. Also tried setting all xmp settings manually with no change.

Is it worth adjusting timings at all or is it time to give up and accept either the RAM is faulty or my CPU is just cack?

Chino
Level 15