cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G20AJ with custom watercooling, is it possible ?

REKTGuy
Level 7
Hi fellow Asus G20AJ users / modders / builders 🙂

I have a question.. ive been going around woundering wether or not it will be possible to fit custom watercooler header on the CPU
insted of the deadfull heatsink and fan solution that it has as a standard ?

I currently have a good friend that are really good at doing custom things to pc's and make it look cooler and modding different stuff,
he have agreed to help me with this endeavur, my thoughts are in line of someting like this for the compleat project:

Replace the following hardware:

CPU: I5 4460 -> I7 4790K
RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600mhz -> Kingston HyperX Impact Black Series DDR3L 2x8GB 1600MHz
GFX: GTX 960 2GB -> GTX 980 Ti 6GB
PSU: 180W & 230W powerbricks -> EVGA 750W modular PSU w/ 1meter custom cabelkit
Cooling:
CPU: remove the original CPU headsink and dual intake/exchaust fans -> building custom
watercooling / PSU unit in a stand-alone case im getting a friend to make if this is at all possible :-)?
GPU: remove original heatsing&cooler - replace the original cooler with a waterblock for watercooled GFX

Is this at all possible with this custom watercooling endever or will i be better of selling my entire pc and buy a new one :-)?
6 REPLIES 6

GoHack
Level 8
REKTGuy wrote:

I have a question.. ive been going around woundering wether or not it will be possible to fit custom watercooler header on the CPU

I currently have a good friend that are really good at doing custom things to pc's and make it look cooler and modding different stuff,
he have agreed to help me with this endeavur, my thoughts are in line of someting like this for the compleat project:

RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600mhz -> Kingston HyperX Impact Black Series DDR3L 2x8GB 1600MHz
Cooling:
CPU: remove the original CPU headsink and dual intake/exchaust fans -> building custom
watercooling / PSU unit in a stand-alone case im getting a friend to make if this is at all possible :-)?
GPU: remove original heatsing&cooler - replace the original cooler with a waterblock for watercooled GFX

Is this at all possible with this custom watercooling endever or will i be better of selling my entire pc and buy a new one :-)?

Anything is possible, but why would you want to? You can't O/C the G20A anyway, The standard cooling fans on the G20AJ are pretty good, especially if you go and replace the thermal compound w/Artic Silver or something.

As for going to the i7-4790K, while you can't o/c it, it will run faster than the regular i7-4790, because of it's clock settings. It will also draw more current as well, so be careful of what you have for hardware, when it comes to a video card, most especially one which is overclocked. The top of the line G20AJ comes from Asus w/both the standard i7-4790 CPU, and a regular, non-overclocked, GTX 980 video card, using both the 180W and 230W power supplies. Some people have been replacing the 230W w/an Alienware 330W, though I don't know if it has helped any when it comes to using the upper end of the video cards like the GTX 980 Ti, overclocked.

For it's design, the G20AJ is a pretty nice system, which has it's limits on expandability. If you wanted something which was REALLY expandable, as well as over-clockable, you're better off selling your G20AJ, and building instead, a new system from scratch. The i7-4790K is getting old as well, w/no more socket 1150's coming out. I've also read that Intel socket CPU's are going to be phased out, so you'll only be able to buy soldered on CPU motherboards.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
REKTGuy wrote:

Cooling:

This is a good question, my answer is...............it comes down to the person and weather you like the case or not, not every one does and most does. I think its a very slick looking pc, course having a mid tower pc is better due to easy upgrades and space. the above items are good to use.

I did have the same idea but maybe putting a pump block on the cpu, and running tubes to the gpu area and using the new amd nano water cooling edition and using that water cooler to cool the gpu and cpu, been thinking of the idea but its all costs.

but personally it comes down to what is your end goal and what you wanna do with the system, like steam or just play games and always be looking at this system in all its glory 🙂

Whoopee

REKTGuy
Level 7
Thanks for the answers guys 🙂

well im thinking about replaing the 1tb hdd with another kingston ssd and running in raid0 on it

are there any really good silent fans to replace the once that came with the system ? i really thinks it gets nosey after 5-6 months of use, ive cleaned
out the fans and still its quite nosey, im also gonna replace the thermal paste with the AC MX-4 and im gonna go with a i7 4790k and 16gb of ddr3
1600mhz cl9

what GTX 980 / 980 TI would you guys recommend ? please do paste a link in your comments to it as i am VERY currius about finding out if an
EVGA GTX980 / Ti edition with ACX2.0+ cooling and SC would run without any heating problems ? the reasone for me asking about the EVGA cards
is that i can buy them ALOT cheaper then the other brands

If you're going to use the i7-4790K, then see about getting the non-overclocked GTX 980 reference design, EVGA P/N: 04G-P4-1980-KR, which draws 165W. The non-overclocked GTX 980 Ti draws 250W. The overclocked models will draw even more power.

The standard Intel i7-4790 CPU draws 84W, while the i7-4790K draws 88W.

Once again, the top of the line G20AJ comes from Asus w/both the standard i7-4790 CPU (84W), and a regular, non-overclocked, GTX 980 video card (165W), using both the 180W and 230W power supplies.

Going w/both the i7-4790K CPU, w/a non-overclocked GTX 980 Ti, will require at least an additional 69W. An overclocked GTX 980 Ti will require even more.

Once again, you may look into getting an Alienware 330W power supply, which I've read of people using, though I don't know how successful it has been.

The base frequency of the i7-4790 is 3.6 GHz, and in Turbo Mode, 4.0 GHz.

The base frequency of the i7-4790K is 4 GHZ, and in Turbo Mode, 4.4 GHz. You can't overclock it w/the Asus G20 AJ, so those are the only settings you have w/the "K" model.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

REKTGuy
Level 7
Once again thanks for the replys its much apriciated 🙂

Im currius about the fps difference between the normal gtx 980 4gb and the gtx 980 ti 6gb in the resolution 1440p @ 144Hz w/G-Sync :-)?

and in Denmark there is about 38$ difference in the price between the i7 4790 and the K model so its not that much money between them, but what about performence ? are there any real difference between them fps wise ? (my system will be used for gaming mainly)

REKTGuy wrote:
Once again thanks for the replys its much apriciated 🙂

Im currius about the fps difference between the normal gtx 980 4gb and the gtx 980 ti 6gb in the resolution 1440p @ 144Hz w/G-Sync :-)?

and in Denmark there is about 38$ difference in the price between the i7 4790 and the K model so its not that much money between them, but what about performence ? are there any real difference between them fps wise ? (my system will be used for gaming mainly)

then if you want to game @ 1440p, then stick to the i7 4790 (non-k) or either try for the GTX 980TI or AMD R9 nano, you just need a card with a large frame buffer to handle the 1440p. as for the GTX 980TI, stick to the reference as this is a 100% fit and better for system cooling.

as for system cooling, the other thing you can do is run a water block on it and run the pipe of the system.

but I have a few ideas on this at moment and hoping to share with you peeps soon