cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC built but it doesn't boot...or even turn on.

Swiso
Level 9
Hello everybody,
I am having a big problem.
I just finished building my new PC, but when I start it, nothing happen.

The only things I notice are :

- the fan of the CPU cooler do only for half of a turn.
-I see the ROG red logo in the middle of the Mobo
-I see a yellow led in the BIOS led position
-the Start and reset buttons light is on

I installed all the cables needed (ATX 24 pin + 8 pin + 4 pin, 4 pin EZ plug)

The thing that bother me is that when I did the self test on the new PSU the result was a green light.
When I connect all the cables to the PSU, when I turn on the PC , I immediately hear like if the PSU "shut down" and I see a solid red light on the PSU.
I am not sure but I think that this solid red light mean there is a short somewhere.
I checked and rechecked all the cables and connections a couple of times but no success.
I removed all thecomponents, checked the CPU, RAM , cup cooler, everything but saw nothing strange (and no apparent damage) and everything was right in place.

So I tried with my old PSU (Corsair AX1200) and happened the same thing.

Any idea what could be the cause ?
What I should do ?

Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

drop4205
Level 12
Are all headers for case power switches connected properly? Have u tried unplugging them and using poer button on motherboard? I had a case new that ended up being a faulty power button. Just asking.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
Are all headers for case power switches connected properly? Have u tried unplugging them and using poer button on motherboard? I had a case new that ended up being a faulty power button. Just asking.

Hello drop4205,
Yes I did that....same result.
I tried even with just 1 SSD and 1 GPU only and the whole front panel not connected...same result.

It's not the first PC that I build that's what frustrating...
I checked if the CPU is correctly installed and it is.

One thing I notice is that the both Qleds and the Q-Code LED remain off...no leds light on and no code appear.

Could it be a faulty motherboard?
How I can determine if the mobo is faulty ?

Found the problem !
Was caused by a defected SATA power connector cable....
Lost three days on it....
Now going forward with the installation....

P.S : A quick question...on the three thermal sensor cables,on the connector, I see that on one side there is like a triangle mark over it....is that PIN1 or the ground ?

Swiso wrote:
defected SATA power connector cable....

Annoying...you sending PSU back? or being pragmatic... problem sorted...

Triangle is pin 1

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Annoying...you sending PSU back? or being pragmatic... problem sorted...

Triangle is pin 1

No, I will not send back the PSU, it work and the cable may very well be one of the old PSU that I removed....
Thanks for the info on Triangle.

Swiso wrote:
may very well be one of the old PSU that I removed....

Ouch! mixing cables can fry stuff...glad it's sorted then....let us know when it's running on all cylinders! 🙂

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
If I had this type of problem then I'd probably remove the motherboard from the case and sit it on a box and try to power up just to rule out any chance of shorting in the case.

drop4205
Level 12
Best thing is pull board from case and place on motherboard box it came in. Connect cpu, cooler, gpu, psu, hard drive and 1 stick of ram to test to eliminate a short from case. If you pull cpu are any pins bent? jump 24 pin on psu to test all 24,8 and 4 pin connectors. Others will chime in
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

GoNz0-
Level 10
As above, pull the board, do a basic setup and see what happens, even without GPU you should get an error code. It does look like a duff board.