cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY Sonic Studio II makes games crash

hexaae
Level 12
The game Sleeping Dogs (available from Steam) crashes on load randomly and often if Sonic Studio is running in background in Windows tray. After you "Exit" SStudio (i.e.: SS2UILauncher.exe), the game will always load without crashes.

56886 56884

And here is the crash log pointing to a SStudio Launcher component (C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\SS2\UserInterface\SS2OSD.dll):

Descrizione
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SleepingDogs\HKShip.exe

Firma del problema
Nome evento problema: APPCRASH
Nome applicazione: HKShip.exe
Versione applicazione: 0.0.0.0
Timestamp applicazione: 511151c4
Nome modulo con errori: SS2OSD.dll
Versione modulo con errori: 0.0.0.0
Timestamp modulo con errori: 55cd9503
Codice eccezione: c0000005
Offset eccezione: 00004f62
Versione SO: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101
ID impostazioni locali: 1040
Informazioni aggiuntive 1: bdcb
Ulteriori informazioni 2: bdcb33e65a9843796b7ec31cc25bda3b
Ulteriori informazioni 3: 28b9
Ulteriori informazioni 4: 28b92d9a58b4c3292e6786a4023b66af
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
22 REPLIES 22

hexaae
Level 12
Hope ASUS will release a SStudio update soon fixing this bug too...
(Major bug here, settings not applied to speakers system-wide: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84506-G752VY-worst-audio-ever-from-speakers&p=587165#post5... )
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

Thank you very much, hexaae! 🙂 My problems to launch two Origin games (Unravel and Sims 4) were driving me crazy. Removing Sonic Studio II from the tray has solved the problem. I have no problems with any of my Steam games though (Witcher 3, The Witness, Inside), they also work when SSII is running.

Does removing SSII reduce the sound quality while playing? When you play games, which device generates the sound in the G752VY? The Realtek IC or the Nvidia graphics cards?

hexaae
Level 12
Honestly I would remove SStudio completely (read the whole thread I linked above in msg #2) and buy Hear by Prosoft (30 days trial if you want to test it).
SStudio totally sucks: adds more issues and doesn't do what is supposed to do, with poor final audio quality. It doesn't even work "system wide" but only with some software... Epic fail.
Uninstall it completely and use a much better (and working!) software Enhancer/equalizer...
--

DeltaActual
Level 12
Same for Titanfall 2. No need to uninstall, just disable it in startup.
G614JV

I'll check that Hear audio software, it sounds great (pun intended). 😄 Definitely, ASUS made a mess with the audio of G752VY. In addition to the problems of Sonic Studio II, the right side of the computer gets hot when you listen sound through the internal speakers, as we are discussing in the thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82619-G752-Audio-jack-area-too-hot. It's crazy that the thing that makes the case hotter is neither the CPU nor the GPU, but just some audio chip.

hexaae
Level 12
Yes, known problem that one too...
As a personal experience with my (sold) G752VY Hear, or Razer Surround and other sound enhancer like them are 100 times better then buggy SStudio, which provides also a very poor sound quality honestly. Remove just SStudio and keep Realtek drivers, then install Hear, it was the best IMHO... worth the money to pull out a more than decent sound from a G752VY.
--

By the way, my problems with Origin have gone far beyond not letting me launch some games. I've just discovered today that the reason why sometimes my computer couldn't properly wake up from sleep mode was... also Origin! A black screen forever, an irresponsive mouse after waking up, etc... All of these problems vanish if I don't let Origin run (neither at startup nor later).

NP-complete wrote:
By the way, my problems with Origin have gone far beyond not letting me launch some games. I've just discovered today that the reason why sometimes my computer couldn't properly wake up from sleep mode was... also Origin! A black screen forever, an irresponsive mouse after waking up, etc... All of these problems vanish if I don't let Origin run (neither at startup nor later).

I doubt it. I've also had some issues in the past with Origin but current version 10.4.2.12697-0 has no issue when waking up from standby/hibernation (I'm one of the rare users who doesn't usually shut-down PCs but prefers sleep+hibernation). I have Origin always running in bg and sleep/hibernate at least 4 times a day without problems.

Must be a driver issue, and you have to find the culprit all alone since usually remote suggestions (last video driver, drivers from ASUS support site... etc.) won't help that much... There are other threads about wake-up issues with G752VY: search for them in the forum.

My hint is (as last chance) to take a look also at latest drivers from http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en especially Intel/Chipset (and IME) category...
Some other links:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84587-G752VY-issue-with-M-2-speed-after-resume-from-sleep
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84926-G752VY-Lid-opening-issue
--

I see a reason why blaming Origin makes sense. In the last weeks, when I pressed the restart button in Windows, Windows complained so often about Origin refusing to close, so Windows had to eventually kill the Origin process by itself. If a program refuses to be closed when Windows "nicely" requests it, then maybe its full state won't be properly saved into the SSD when getting into sleep mode. Hence, when you wake up later, maybe its former state won't be properly recovered (and it will make waking up crash). Does it make any sense?

If I do a clean boot (i.e. disabling all startup programs from the task manager, disabling all non-Windows services from msconfig, and then restarting), then waking up from sleep always works properly. It has been like this since I have the laptop: if the boot was clean, subsequent waking up operations never fail. So I guess blaming some program makes sense, right?

Well, I admit there is another possibility: waking up could work properly after a clean boot just because what matters is not what programs are running in the background, but how many programs you have in your background. If sleeping involves saving so many Mb into the SSD (and later waking up involves loading those Mb back), then maybe the chances to fail are higher. The bad news is that, if this were true, then it could be a hardware issue. But this could be consistent with those two threads you have linked.

I'll try to go into sleep mode while some game is running (e.g. I see that The Witcher 3 is using roughly 4Gb in run-time) and see if it works.