cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does adding more ram affect my overclock?

smackey
Level 7
Hi, i currently have CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233913 on my Maximus VIII Hero Alpha motherboard. Im thinking on adding the same memory modules to make it 32gb. The question is will this mess my overclock on 6700k (4.6 ghz on 1.34 adaptive voltage? what are the other cons? I also have the xmp profile on for the memory modules. thank you
7 REPLIES 7

sk2play
Level 13
YES, just test it. Here is a better Que. Does your OC affect your RAM MAX? Gotcha on this one.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

smackey
Level 7
What do you mean by Ram max? i have them on xmp profile and they are running on 3200. So i can just safely add the same memory modules to make it 32 gb?

kkn
Level 14
best is to get a new kit since they are tested together and are shure to work.
add a new kit and you may end up doing tweaking inside bios to get things to work.
since you want to add a 2'nd kit in there witch is not tester whit the current kit you have they may not work nice with each others.

adding more memory will put more stress on the CPU yes, if you are lucky the OC will not become unstable, if you are unlucky it may become unstable.
best is to start a new OC and take it from there.

kkn wrote:
best is to get a new kit since they are tested together and are shure to work.
add a new kit and you may end up doing tweaking inside bios to get things to work.
since you want to add a 2'nd kit in there witch is not tester whit the current kit you have they may not work nice with each others.

adding more memory will put more stress on the CPU yes, if you are lucky the OC will not become unstable, if you are unlucky it may become unstable.
best is to start a new OC and take it from there.

so even if they are the same exact kit, they are not guaranteed to work together? If that's the case then i think i will just stick with my 16gb dual channel.

smackey wrote:
so even if they are the same exact kit, they are not guaranteed to work together?

Yeah it's as kkn says...even "same" make and model will be binned differently...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Usually running more RAM requires a little bit more Vcore. So yes, I think it it affect your overclock.

hmm, I haven't seen that at all. Went from 32 to 128. SA @ auto bumped up substantially on its own, but vcore settings before and after are the same for my setup.