cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pch temperature improvement

sucka
Level 7
Hey,
finally a motherboard that runs fine after having only problems on rve, the maximus viii extreme, perfect temps for vrm 30-40 degrees c, perfect cpu temp @ 20 in idle and 30-35 degrees c in stress of course after setting vcore to adaptive and even done some manual voltage settings and stock without core sync my cpu was staying at @ 1,3v an now 1.1-1.15.

The only problem, the pch is pretty hot, boots at 40 degrees and after gaming i get 50-55 which is allot for such a cold pc with more airflow than a plane. So i want to know if anyone know if the pch uses thermal pad or thermal grease, and if it uses thermal pad what thickness and w/mk and if thermal pad is any space between radiator and chipset? because why use thermal pad even if it is low tdp, pads are for irregular surfaces. I wouldn't want to do the silly thing to make a third water loop to cool a @ 4w tdp chip. :))

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

sucka
Level 7
I know it is ok, but not by my standard, it's the hottest component in my pc, except the 950 pro ssd. :))
I found finally a review saying it uses thermal pad and thermal compound too at the same time, if that's real that's noobish, i shall use only thermal compound if there is no gap between radiator and chip and if it is a gap will use a 17w/mk thermal pad to be sure all thermal gets to the radiator so i can see normal temps by my standards. 🙂

Because my aim and question is what it uses and what can i use so i can reduce temps, as about safeness would be safe even at 60 degrees, doesn't mean i want a cpu at 20 degrees and 40-50 pch or even 60.

Now my aim is to find if it has a gap between heatsink and chipset, if not, best use is of compund for this use, though i understand using a pad as it lasts longer without loosing thermal conductivity but it is poorer at it than compound.

Thanks

AKBAAR
Level 9
mine goes up to 70c i think its pretty fine

sucka
Level 7
wow high :)) yep know its fine still won't accept component hotter than 40 degrees il put phase changer if needed :))
leaving my joke aside, even the x99 stood at 30-35 degrees and this is so hot and allot lower tdp, need to take it lower, soon wil test if it has a gap between heatsink and chip and if not kryonaut to the rescue :))
Maybe by then nvidia will think of launching pascal finally.

AKBAAR
Level 9
sorry to bring this old post alive again... but i thought I would like to play with PCH voltages in the BIOS to see if it would help lower the temperature without making the system unstable.
So I changed the PCH Voltage to 0.8750 from 1.1100v and it seems that PCH temperature won't change. i still get PCH temperature around 60-70c when gaming even with case open .

it seems so hard to lower the PCH temperature even voltage lower

EDIT:
I lowered the Voltage PCH even more to 0.8000v and still same temps. (IDLE TEMPS)

That's weird. That does suggest that there is a thermal pad and thermal grease being used... you're saying it doesn't move at all, right?

[/HR]

tt0ne wrote:
That's weird. That does suggest that there is a thermal pad and thermal grease being used... you're saying it doesn't move at all, right?

yes, on idle it will never go below 50-60 even if i lower the voltages on the pch. is it because the gpu card generating heat around that area. i dont know.

AKBAAR wrote:
sorry to bring this old post alive again... but i thought I would like to play with PCH voltages in the BIOS to see if it would help lower the temperature without making the system unstable.
So I changed the PCH Voltage to 0.8750 from 1.1100v and it seems that PCH temperature won't change. i still get PCH temperature around 60-70c when gaming even with case open .

it seems so hard to lower the PCH temperature even voltage lower

EDIT:
I lowered the Voltage PCH even more to 0.8000v and still same temps. (IDLE TEMPS)

In the pic, I cant help but notice that HWiNFO64 Dark theme, can you please help a guy who is sensitive to that? Where can i find a darkened version of HWiNFO64?