cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corrosion help?

NuMetal93
Level 7
So I tore down my rig for its first time cleaning and my cpu block was pretty corroded but, my gpu blocks were okey. Dose anyone know if i would need a anti corrosive if the only metal in my loop is aluminum and copper? I used PT nuke for a biocide.
14 REPLIES 14

kkn
Level 14

dang, at least i caught it before my gpu blocks were damaged, they seem fine. Im really confused though ive been reading online that it should be fine to use distilled water because it is ionized and wont try to take ions form the metal. Another thing ive been seeing that ek blocks are nickle plated or aluminum but their rads are copper with aluminum bodes. this makes no sence to me because that would cause corrosion? albeit im using copper swiftech rads. long story short ive thoroughly flushed my loop and about to leav to get my new cpu block and probably nano fluid, sorry for spelling/grammar errors im on a cellphone.

NuMetal93 wrote:
dang, at least i caught it before my gpu blocks were damaged, they seem fine. Im really confused though ive been reading online that it should be fine to use distilled water because it is ionized and wont try to take ions form the metal. Another thing ive been seeing that ek blocks are nickle plated or aluminum but their rads are copper with aluminum bodes. this makes no sence to me because that would cause corrosion? albeit im using copper swiftech rads. long story short ive thoroughly flushed my loop and about to leav to get my new cpu block and probably nano fluid, sorry for spelling/grammar errors im on a cellphone.

It is deionized, but with time it starts to get the ions from the metal and starts to be ionized, so the corrosion starts to appear.

You should change the Aluminium parts for Cooper ones. And still get a biocide.

EK blocks are Cooper made with the possibility of nickel plated. The Rads I don't know for sure, but one of the full cooper rad that I know are the Aquacomputer ones and the Alphacool.

i use swiftech rads they are all copper.

I went out and bought a copper cpu block but my gpu blocks are only avable in nickel plated copper. I switched to nano fluid as well. All my gpu blocks have very little dammage, only a bit of copper was showing on two blocks and there was build up but I was able to remove it. Is it still safe to use the blocks on my gpus?

I was mistaken, I was kinda freekingout. there is no aluminum in my loop its all nickel plated copper.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Yes it is. I see countless people doing it, but you need to at least flush the system once a year.

My system is only 5 months old, this was the first cleaning and they are nickel acetal. I plan to upgrade to pascal cards, I hope my cooing will last till then. I am no longer using water but EKEkoolant stuff, all they had at Microcenter.

I guess what i really want to know is if my gpu blocs are still okey to use, they have no build up anymore but only a bit of the nickel came off?