CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 360mm
    CaseThermaltake Core V51
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova G2 750w
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
    Mouse Evga Torq 10 carbon
    Mouse Pad Steel Series
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterAsus Rt-AC3100

Oh boy. Well I'm glad I found this thread. I was just at my friends house today trying to help him with his computer. I built it for him early last year. Hero Vii, 4690k, 16gb Trident X ram, and a Corsair 750w psu.
    He said it would randomly restart, but sometimes it completely shuts off. I had never experienced the random shut off problem on either of my Hero 6,7 or 8 mobos, so I started looking around in the UEFI. I had setup his pc with a mild overclock and wanted to double check everything and run some stability /stress tests.
    After some mild tweaking, I started it up. No errors/crashes in Realbench after running the stress test for 30 mins. The screen did go blank for about 30 seconds during the stress test, which It does do on either of my PCs at home. That was kinda odd, not sure how relevant it is. Anyway the test continued and finished successfully. I opened up some games and other apps, attempting a real world stress test and everything was ok. Then suddenly boom! Completely shut down as if I had just pulled the plug.

I had Doom opened in the background and was browsing the web when the shutdown occurred. I'm going back in a couple days to look into the random shutdown further. Ran outta time tonight. I guess I'll check his PSU... I hope he doesn't have to RMA the board...
    ASUS ROG Maximus 8 Hero Alpha | Intel i5 6600k @4.7ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 16gb @ 3499mhz | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512gb | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 10 Pro x64

ROG Enthusiast Array

Same issue here. Just started within the past couple weeks. Around the time I updated my BIOS. I am not too happy about this at all....I bought this expensive mobo to get away from this nonsense.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Quote Originally Posted by Remidi View Post
    Same issue here. Just started within the past couple weeks. Around the time I updated my BIOS. I am not too happy about this at all....I bought this expensive mobo to get away from this nonsense.
    Reflash to the previous bios and see if it goes away.

What PSU are you running?
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Puffnstuff View Post
    The last time I had an issue like that it was caused by a loose wire in a power harness that was triggering the overload protection circuit on my ps. I pulled my hair out trying to figure it out until I checked each power plug and discovered the issue. Once I corrected the wires the issue never reoccurred and I would advise you to begin a systematic check of all power supply plugs to see if one is grounding your system out.
    You could be right. The complete power shutdown has happened to me again, if only just once. Directly afterwards I rechecked all the wires and cables and some of them seemed loose. Reseated them and then I noticed a small thin fan cable. Probably belonged to an old case fan and it was missing 1 out of 3 possible pins. Pulled it out of the motherboard fan slot. Haven't had any other random loss of power problems as of yet. Psu is also less than 6 months old so very unlikely a psu problem. Hopefully no more problems.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Puffnstuff's Avatar

Yesterday I had a random shutdown while I was writing a term paper. Fortunately I'd already saved my work when my pc just shot down without any warning but when I hit the power button it restarted without issue.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Puffnstuff View Post
    Yesterday I had a random shutdown while I was writing a term paper. Fortunately I'd already saved my work when my pc just shot down without any warning but when I hit the power button it restarted without issue.
    That's the thing. Each and every time the random shutdown happened the pc instantly restarted after hitting the power button as if nothing is wrong.

New ROGer Array

Same thing happened to me, just started yesterday and several times.

It was fine more then 1 years with running VMs, multiple browser and WOW same time, but yesterday when playing WOW, it just complete lost power, and 4 times.

After searching and I found this thread and decide to upgrade BIOS to 3103, and hope it can fix the issue.

I have ASUS R9-390X which newly install at the begin of this year.

I have UPS connected so it would not be the electric noise or voltage issue.

Will see how it goes this weekend.

Update 1

After upgrade BIOS to 3103, and I also uninstall old GPU Tweak, and install the one which in STRIX 390X download page, and now seems back to normal.

I am running VM and watching videos, and playing WOW at same time without any power shutdown for 3 days.

I didn't do ANY hardware change.
    Last edited by billyrt; 08-15-2016 at 02:48 AM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi billyt

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Sorry to hear your having issues, normally with random shutdowns the psu is the first thing I want to check, an over heating cpu will shut down your pc too.

If you have another psu to test with you could try that, you could also try straight to the wall socket without the UPS.

I just wanted to add that I haven't had another shutdown issue since I reported the first one last month. I've also updated to the anniversary edition of 10 so I cannot tell you whether or not it was the board or a kernel issue only that it hasn't reoccurred.

It just happened to me again. I was working on another term paper and had fortunately saved my work when it suddenly clicked and shut off completely. Then after a second or so it started rebooting normally. This is just plain ridiculous. I did have a spare sata cable that was attached to an intel port laying on the bottom of my case that I removed just now to eliminate the possibility of it being the culprit that is forcing the ps power protection circuitry to shutdown. If the shut downs stop then I will attribute them to the sata cable otherwise I'll have to keep looking for the source. I've checked and double checked my power plugs to ensure that they're all seated correctly to rule out a short. This didn't start until after I installed the 3103 bios which I've already tried to roll back and the bios software says it can't install an older version.
    Last edited by Puffnstuff; 09-07-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast