cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G752VY, G751JY] everlasting bug of USB 3.0 left port randomly disconnecting

hexaae
Level 12
It was a well known bug plaguing G751JY,
now my new G752VY does the same: the USB 3.0 port in the upper left side of the laptop keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly (sometimes after 1 hour, sometimes every few minutes). This can break streamings, copying actions, and damage the connected USB hard disk.

After all this time... is there a definitive solution from ASUS? Are they working on it or not?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
54 REPLIES 54

Gps3dx
Level 12
A. As you might forgot, This forum is a community based forum - if you want Asus official response - you're free to contact Asus on official channels and complain.
Just for your knowledge, the last time I sent my laptop to RMA, it came to a point where I sent a direct complaint to the regional Asus CEO and I was heard.
I wish just like you, that the admins around here, which are asus rep as well, will offer the ROG community a solution, or at least comment that they passed the issue to asus R&D and that they'll return a comment afterwards.
Unfortunately, that theme has been discussed since, AFAIK, the G55 ( may be even before ) serie- and no official solution was offered.
hell, AFAIK, even a proper XHCI driver for win8/8.1/10 was NOT offered to fix the USB 2.0 speed transfer between USB 3.0 compatible devices and the ROG laptops.
So yes, I believe that collective sue should be in order, but I guess that no one is willing to lift the glove as there are other pressing matter in the world ( Global warming might fit in that category ).

B. A community SW based solution was already suggested TO ALL ROG DEVICES- i'm sure you're familiar with the thread "G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?" and my post/guide in it "G751 Win 10 x64 Guide: HOW TO GET THE USB PORTS & HUBS TO RUN @USB 3.0 SUPERSPEED, WITH NO HANG-UPS... which both offers partial solutions gathered from the best of the community knowledge.

C. JustinT - you're free to be the stalking-awkward-irritating person as usual, I don't care anymore.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

hexaae
Level 12
As far as I can understand it's better to abandon ASUS and go for the competitors then, since ASUS is not very focused on user experience and to solve the many software issues with their nice ROG series. A pity as IMHO build and hw quality is good but too much software annoyances (due to Intel poor software drivers, mainly) can really discourage users who pay 2000€ for such laptops.
Thank you for reply.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Well said, My G752VY ROG Notebook is the Last from ASUS.
About the USB, same problem here. I thought they fixed it, i dint notice it because ROG Gladius was connected on that port.
ROG Notebooks are near to be China "Shang zai" Products Quality.
" Why married a gold digger, just because she is beautiful?" Useless. same applied to ASUS ROG notebooks.

hexaae
Level 12
For sure, since we paid a lot of money (not cheap consumer laptops), I expected a much better support...
Software-side (including for software also BIOS and OS drivers) these ROGs have too much annoying issues for their price class. I'd love my ROGs if everything was working as expected with audio drivers, USB, and sleep BIOS issues, but I can't unfortunately. ASUS should really invest much more resources here.

About the issue:
BTW, I'm currently testing this: I changed default USB Hub xHCI and forced Hub Generic USB SuperSpeed and didn't have disconnecting/reconnecting USB hard disk issues anymore in the last 3 hours... Will need some more days of testing to proclaim a victory though.

--

hexaae wrote:

About the issue:
BTW, I'm currently testing this: I changed default USB Hub xHCI and forced Hub Generic USB SuperSpeed and didn't have disconnecting/reconnecting USB hard disk issues anymore in the last 3 hours... Will need some more days of testing to proclaim a victory though.

that device's default drivers is also replaced with intel's driver once you install the XHCI controller driver on the system.
nothing new under the sun - that is exactly the change ( and more ) that I direct in my guide .... except may be that the driver you choose is provided from MS as well ...lol.

Your XHCI controller host driver is provided by MS not intel - correct ?
( i.e have you made a driver change to that device ?)

bottom line - Asus should have publish guide/installer/driver to solve the issue.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

hexaae
Level 12
I didn't touch the default "Controller host Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - 1.0 (Microsoft)".
I've forced that other root port driver as it was already in the default MS drivers list, and sounded good to replace chosen default:
when you uncheck "Show only compatible hardware" you'll find it at the bottom in the list of drivers provided by MS (WHICH IS ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE. As a general rule ignore Intel crapware if you can: MS for sure provides more convenient drivers certified to work fine with Windows 10 x64. Don't expect Intel to know Windows OS better then MS itself even for their own hw)

...and good news: still not had a single disconnect/reconnect issue since! The USB 3.0 HD is correctly recognized and used in SuperSpeed mode without issues, so it really looks like the perfect solution to get rid of this annoying bug.
Let's keep fingers crossed, will test it for some days and report in case.
--

hexaae wrote:
As a general rule ignore Intel crapware if you can: MS for sure provides more convenient drivers certified to work fine with Windows 10 x64. Don't expect Intel to know Windows OS better then MS itself even for their own hw)

AFAIK, intel is the developer of the drivers, MS just "rename" it as theirs, after is passes some MS internal QA.
hexaae wrote:

...and good news: still not had a single disconnect/reconnect issue since! The USB 3.0 HD is correctly recognized and used in SuperSpeed mode without issues, so it really looks like the perfect solution to get rid of this annoying bug.
Let's keep fingers crossed, will test it for some days and report in case.

Please continue to test any external USB 3.0 device you can get your hands on...
I know that some devices do work fine on the left port, other not so stable ( sometimes disconnection, somethings not ).
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

Gps3dx wrote:
AFAIK, intel is the developer of the drivers, MS just "rename" it as theirs, after is passes some MS internal QA.

Since exist both Intel WHQL and MS versions, I think the drivers with explicit "(Microsoft)" are developed by MS, using the official specs given by the vendor of course. For this reason I'm more inclined for the MS version, whenever I can.

Sad news: today just happened again: disconnected/reconnected once after 10 minutes from a cold boot 😞
Usual Intel HW/SW unreliable rubbish... latest tech. = latest bugs.
--

diogogmaio
Level 7
Keep up with the testing to understand if it is a viable solution.
Thanks for the hard work both of you.