cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501VW-FY173T ram/hard drive upgradeable?

rhemy
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying the G501VW-FY173T. But I was wondering, will the 8gb RAM be upgradeable to 16gb & the hard drive be 1TB+128gb upgradeable to 512gb? I wanted to get the G501jw FI439t, but its completely out stock in my country.

Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

nemerdekel
Level 7
You have to take the whole bottom of the notebook down to upgrade it, and that might void your warranty.
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

nemerdekel wrote:
You have to take the whole bottom of the notebook down to upgrade it, and that might void your warranty.

oh damn thats a big turn off... shame. Will have to find another laptop to get then.... I think having an SSHD instead of a full SSD is a dealbreaker for me. Unless you think otherwise?

What I forgot to ask is:

Will the hard drives be upgradeable to the Pcie4 512gb in the future and 8gb ram to 16gb ram? Can I make these changes? Will it fit?

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont think you can get to 16GB RAM unless that 8GB is whats permanently installed on the MOBO. Reviews Ive seen have 4GB on MOBO and 4GB in the slot making it upgradeable to 12GB max but you cant do dual channel like that as the two have to match.

You wont be able to ugrade to to Pcie4. Not the way that works. If you had Pcie4 they are normally backwards compatible to run Pcie3 devices but not running Pcie4 devcices in a Pcie3 slot. About like trying to get a USB 3.0 device to work in a USB 2.0 port.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I dont think you can get to 16GB RAM unless that 8GB is whats permanently installed on the MOBO. Reviews Ive seen have 4GB on MOBO and 4GB in the slot making it upgradeable to 12GB max but you cant do dual channel like that as the two have to match.

You wont be able to ugrade to to Pcie4. Not the way that works. If you had Pcie4 they are normally backwards compatible to run Pcie3 devices but not running Pcie4 devcices in a Pcie3 slot. About like trying to get a USB 3.0 device to work in a USB 2.0 port.

WOW, worst nightmare comes to life. Thanks for the info, really REALLY helpful to my buying decision.

Another thing I want to know is that the laptop has a 1T HDD + 125gb SSD. Is this ssd pcie, m2 or...?

Also, will the hdd be upgradeable to an SSD drive?