cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn over whether I should replace this monitor or not

SirDigbyChicken
Level 7
I just received my PG279Q a few days ago and I have to say I'm overall loving it so far but alas I have some Backlight Bleed (Not IPS glow which I can easily accept).

The pictures make it seem a LOT worse, but it's noticeable on dark scenes.

Only the bottom right corner and top right corner bothers me.
The top right bleed is not as bad as bottom right bleed but the top right bleed looks like it has "two sources" from where it's bleeding (two spots).

I got it from amazon UK, not sure if it's worth returning and everything so I can get one that doesn't exhibit this issue.

I play a lot of horror FPS's (been playing Tomb Raider 2013 recently and I only notice the BLB on some scenes), however I'm worried if I play a game that's mostly dark and I can constantly see the BLB.

I have seen some threads were the problem reduced with time (can't remember if it was IPS glow or BLB)

Opinions? (p.s. I bought it for £700.00 GBP, April 2016, had it less than a week).

Settings I'm using:
GameVisual Preset mode: Racing Mode
Brightness: 25
Contrast: 50
Colour Temp: User
RGB: 97, 93, 100

If you can suggest any other tests or need more information let me know.

7 REPLIES 7

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
If I had paid that much on a brand new screen then I'd want it to be perfect. If I'd only paid £150 for a screen that exhibited this then I might be slightly more forgiving. But a premium screen should give premium quality, simple as!

jadedzero
Level 7
IPS glow is very subtle during a blackbackground, and you will not notice it at all when you are gaming. If those pictures are exactly what your eyes are seeing, then you have a faulty monitor and should return it. When my monitor had backlight bleed that was unacceptable it would show up with a yellowish color when i was viewing a full white screen. It would also distort/add the yellowish color to anything i was playing.

Dysternaut
Level 7
That panel has terrible bleed, just like all the ones I had. Return it, get your money back and buy another brand or a TN panel, because the chances of getting a decent one are very slim.

You should NOT have to live with this sort of crap panel on such an expensive high end monitor!

jadedzero wrote:
IPS glow is very subtle during a blackbackground, and you will not notice it at all when you are gaming. If those pictures are exactly what your eyes are seeing, then you have a faulty monitor and should return it. When my monitor had backlight bleed that was unacceptable it would show up with a yellowish color when i was viewing a full white screen. It would also distort/add the yellowish color to anything i was playing.

Yeah, I can't notice it at all during gaming and not usually during desktop use. It's only when something dark is being displayed on the screen that you can tell it's there.
I don't think it discolours white colours, I'll go and test when I get home after work.
So if it doesn't discolour the white colour would you consider it ok?
There is definitely a yellowish haze but only when something dark is being displayed.

Dysternaut wrote:
That panel has terrible bleed, just like all the ones I had. Return it, get your money back and buy another brand or a TN panel, because the chances of getting a decent one are very slim.

You should NOT have to live with this sort of crap panel on such an expensive high end monitor!

Such a shame 😞 such a nice monitor. I've already requested a replacement from amazon.co.uk. The one I had was manufactured Jan 2016 hopefully I'll get a one manufactured later that might not have this issue. I asked them specifically for one manufactured later but they said they couldn't do it lol.
What other monitors are there out there like this one though? If the replacement doesn't work out I might try get it from somewhere where they can check it before sending it out.

SirDigbyChickenCaesar wrote:
Such a shame 😞 such a nice monitor. I've already requested a replacement from amazon.co.uk. The one I had was manufactured Jan 2016 hopefully I'll get a one manufactured later that might not have this issue. I asked them specifically for one manufactured later but they said they couldn't do it lol.
What other monitors are there out there like this one though? If the replacement doesn't work out I might try get it from somewhere where they can check it before sending it out.

I just posted this on another thread so there is hope for you yet!

I received my (first and hopefully last) replacement on Friday. So far so good!

None of the issues I was experiencing with the first PG279q are present now:
IPS bleed on the top left third
glowing in the corners in a darkened room with a black screen, mostly in the bottom right
no periodic broken vertical line appearing in the margin between the left bezel and the normal screen area
no periodic screen tearing/very slight vertical line down the middle of the screen
monitor now stays on OC 165hz and doesn't constantly turn itself off
rebooting windows 10 doesn't cause issues when in 165hz mode
GTX 970 in SLI mode no longer appears to cause problems

So far, I'm pretty happy I waited out the issues and the exchange. I'll certainly report back again if anything changes. BTW, this is a January 2016 produced model; my first was Dec 2015.

GamerMan wrote:
I just posted this on another thread so there is hope for you yet!

I received my (first and hopefully last) replacement on Friday. So far so good!

None of the issues I was experiencing with the first PG279q are present now:
IPS bleed on the top left third
glowing in the corners in a darkened room with a black screen, mostly in the bottom right
no periodic broken vertical line appearing in the margin between the left bezel and the normal screen area
no periodic screen tearing/very slight vertical line down the middle of the screen
monitor now stays on OC 165hz and doesn't constantly turn itself off
rebooting windows 10 doesn't cause issues when in 165hz mode
GTX 970 in SLI mode no longer appears to cause problems

So far, I'm pretty happy I waited out the issues and the exchange. I'll certainly report back again if anything changes. BTW, this is a January 2016 produced model; my first was Dec 2015.

Let me know man, my one is January 2016 as well. I don't have any other BS apart from the BLB. The top left and bottom left are definitely acceptable. The top right has two BLB "spots" and the bottom right just has quite a lot of bleed. I was watching a movie yesterday and it was just "there" for a lot of the time. Another problem is most of the games I play are horror FPS's so the BLB kind of "moves" with the screen. Know what I mean? Apparently the BLB reduces after 2 weeks, have you seen any of that? I get my replacement from amazon today so I'll definitely update what happens.

SirDigbyChickenCaesar wrote:
Let me know man, my one is January 2016 as well.

14 days in, still no issues. Fingers crossed that if anything does come up, it is within the 30 day return window.