cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Problems Until Now - PC Shuts Down

Sirrrus
Level 7
Hello,

I came here for build advice about 3 years ago and received excellent advice so I thought I would check back here for help.

My issue is that my PC randomly shuts down while being used. No warning, no errors, no blue screen of death, just turns off as if someone walked along and unplugged the PC. I've been fumbling through some articles online about the Windows Event Log and such but have not been able to pin down the problem. It has shut down 5 times over two days, 4 of those times I was playing a game at the time and it was the same game each time (Empire: Total War, 2009). I have never had a single issue with this PC until now.

My current build:

EVGA Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Mobo
Intel i7-4930k CPU @ 3.4Ghz
--with Corsair h100i liquid cooling
Seasonic SS-1250XM PSU
16GB Gskill Ripjaws Z RAM @ 2133Mhz
2x EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Classified Edition, SLI and air cooled
1TB Samsung EVO SSD
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced case, all fans appear to be fully operational on all pieces of hardware
Running Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates

I'm above average when it comes to understanding tech but by no means am I an expert, i.e. meaning if you ask me about the PSU or CPU - I know what it is, where it is, and can uninstall/reinstall it but if you ask me to get out a voltage meter and start checking pins, I have no idea what I'm looking for or what level everything should be at. I suspect the PSU is failing and have already contacted Seasonic, as I am within the 5 year warranty but I just wanted a more professional diagnosis.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
10 REPLIES 10

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Stupid question: How's the CPU Cooler, is not leaking?

How's the temps in the CPU?

Sirrrus
Level 7
That was my first thought. I downloaded SpeedFan 4.5.1 and have been closely monitoring. All temps look good, CPU tops out at 47C while playing games.

I may have an update/development. It seems to occur in this specific game when I make the action of moving an army into a city, but it's not always the same army. Sparing the details, it's a turn-based strategy game from 2009. I have played this game for YEARS and never encountered this problem. Heck, I've never encountered an instant shut down that wasn't power related. I have been testing other games that put more pressure on graphics and CPU (Dragon Age Inquisition, Crysis 3, Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor...all with graphics set at or near the max)., issue has not repeated itself.

I have had no hardware/USB changes in almost 6 months (bought a new keyboard), everything else is the same. I have completed Windows updates and Nvidia updates. I'm at a loss. I very rarely change anything on my PC, so it's odd this is suddenly happening.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
It's just that specific game?

No other related heavy intensive CPU tasks as benchmarking?

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Are there any Event log warnings or errors in the system section at the time of sudden power loss?

I looked through these Event logs but I don't understand them. The main one under recent Criticals is an Event 41 which the Internet told me is basically an improper shut down/boot after an improper shut down. Kinda felt like "tell me something I don't know".

Sirrrus
Level 7
UPDATE:

It appears it could be one of the two GPU's. I must not have looked quickly enough after giving it a heavy load during my gaming and it dropped before I could see it. I have them SLI, and one is ticking into the 70C range on the SpeedTemp program while the other sits at about 45C. Any reason why it's one GPU and not the other when they're together in SLI? Does the PC normally dump the main load on one and then transfer excess to the other? I'm no expert on this. 😞

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Glad it looks like your homing in on the actual problem. In the Event logs you probably need to look a little further back than the improper shutdown as that will occur during the next boot. But as you've now found something with your GPU I'd pursue that instead.

Sirrrus
Level 7
Any way to tell which of the two is the physical one overheating? If the fans are running on both, why is one running at a cool 45C and the other is in the 70C's? Do I have to replace? :'(

Also, it still doesn't shut down during heavy gaming on a more modern/graphically intense game. Why is this game from 2009 pushing it so hard?

cekim
Level 11
Normally, the display card in SLI runs warmer as does the card on top of the machine is mounted normally with the MB perpendicular to the ground.

(all of the below assumes you know which one is warmer - pull them and test one at a time if not)
Random things to check:
- confirm the fans on the GPU are actually turning with eye balls? No grinding, funny noises, etc...
- check for a wobbly/loose heat-sink on the warmer card?
- Case fan die? Does it feel like a sauna when you open it and/or does it run better open?
- Any over clock on the GPUs? revert to stock and still have issues?
- clean off heat-sinks dust is not good for heat transfer.

Good luck