cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on N550JK Random Screen Goes Dark Problem

jwilock
Level 7
I have an N550JK- DB74 with a touchscreen. Ever since I got it - longer ago than warranty covers, it has occasionally had the screen go blank when I move the screen (change the angle) I wish I had recognized how big a problem it was while it was still under warranty, but it rearely happened and was easy to reset. But lately the screen goes dark not only when ever I move it just a little, but all by itself, randomly. And it is now hard to get it to come back on. I can try several times and it will just come back on dark. After serveral tries and even sometimes a restart it will eventually come back on. Once on it will sometimes stay on for 10 or 15 minues at a time, but sometimes only 20 or 30 seconds. This is while simply web surfing or the like, not high temp gaming. ASUS has said that it is likely the LCD to motherboard connector failing. They estimates about $400 to cover shipping and repair. Totally ridiculous for this kind of machine - not to mention totally ridiculous that I would have this problem after only a little over a year's use.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this problem before. If so, what was the cause? Did it turn out to be the LCD to motherboard connector? If I find a reputable local repair shop is it likely to cost much less than $400 for this kind of repair?

p.s. I am not a techie, so I'd appreciate if you could bear with me and give simple answers. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
3 REPLIES 3

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
If you were from Portugal, I will glad change the cable.

Yes the cable could be the cause of the failure. DId nothing happen when you move the screen to adjust angle?

When I change the angle of the screen it goes dark. It will no longer come back on unless I power off and restart the computer. Once I do that it will stay on for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Then I need to do restart it again. Oh, and I mean it goes off even if I don't move the screen. One second it's on and then it goes off. Even if I'm not even typing.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you haven't already, connect an external monitor to make sure you don't see any problems with it, otherwise, it would indicate the problem isn't related to your LCD/LCD cable.