Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW impressions after two weeks

wumpus
Level 7
Hi guys

To start with: my specs: G73jw, i7, fullHD

The laptop is absolutely great. Wonderfull screen (damn, the pixels are a bit too small though), Splendid Mode is great; It's a definite merit.

Sound - really suprised me, it's LOUD, with a noticeable bass! Wonderful! no cracking noises so far.

Keyboard is great - very quiet. Touchpad's superb too, big, with multitouch.

Performance is very good as well, i can play all my games in Full HD maxed-out.

now the questions part:

- i've installed win7 x64 - clean; then installed all the stuff asus put on their cd - now i have 1.5GB of ram used just after boot. normal? Doesn't seem so.

- Had nVidia 259 drivers, now have 260; Still - sometimes games freeze for a second or two. Example: i launch Left 4 Dead 2 - I can play for few minutes, then i get a 10sec slideshow, then everything gets back to normal. Did you experience this?

- The laptop isn't very loud. It cools down very quickly. I dont mind the noise during games - I dont hear it anyway. What disturbs me is the noise during office work. First of all, i have ca. 43C (111F) on CPU and 39C(102F) on GPU now (and most of the time).
Are these high temperatures? While playing a game I get 70C on GPU MAX (after 1 hour of GTA4).

The problem is that the laptop NEVER stops cooling itself. It's on the lowest possible fan speed (i guess) but still - it's running. The laptop is shaking ;-/ this is annoying.

Can you determine the temperatures the fan starts working? i dont mind few C more here and there ...
13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
I have 1.1GB of ram after boot. But that's because Ive disabled certain programs to run on startup. But having 1.5gb of memory being used is normal..especially for 64bit OS. I have almost double the amount of startup programs running on my PC yet on boot its only using 850mb or RAM..why? Because its on 32 bit Vista. So yeah, dont worry about RAM unless it starts shooting past 2gb for no reason.

Your temps are good. Those are basically my idle temps, but expect an increase after a month or two. The max ive hit on games was 81c (accdng to GPU-Z) and that was a 5 second spike then dropped back down to low-70's which remains my average temps after 3-4 hrs of almost non-stop play...Yeah i game ALOT.

Its good that the fans are quiet..i was surprised. Quiet and powerful. Cant go wrong with that..but as far as the laptop shaking? Man that weird my doesnt do that...

Thanks for the reply.

Shaking - if I put my hands on the laptop, i feel the fans. Or maybe the HDDs? They are 7200rps after all. I dont know. you can feel it everywhere on the laptop. It's not like a big deal, but it's noticeable. My old Vaio didnt shake at all.

How about controlling the fans?

Retired
Not applicable
What power mode are you in at the office? If in high performance mode try switching to office mode and turn off turbo boost for cpu. This migt let harddrives and fans spin as they cooling facter is not needed on a system that is not being used as a gaming fuction.

wumpus
Level 7
I am using Power4Gear Entertainment, believing it's better (is some way) than the standard win7 moderate profile

Your temperatures look good, for your gaming performance issues I recomend switching the laptop into High Performance mode.
Do you have the same fan noise and vibrations when in low power mode?

wumpus
Level 7
exactly the same. Same shaking all the time.

i dont want to send the laptop to the servis already, i need it to work... can i fix the issue myself?

Remove the hard drives from the system and boot it to bios, confirm if the unit is still vibrating.

Also, when the fan ramps up to high speed do the vibrations get worse?

wumpus
Level 7
Well I did as you said, and I am quite suprised, because:
- before, during and after playing a game, the vibrations didn't change too much - hardy at all! The noise - yes; vibrations - no.
- After removing both HDDs (it says on them: seagate 500gb), and booting into bios - NO VIBRATIONS at all
- After insering the HDDs again, and booting into bios - vibrations are back.

So now I am pretty sure i feel the disks, not the fans!

Well - this might be easier to cure (if it needs a cure at all - they are 7200rps after all)! Maybe i could wrap the HDDs in some vibration-absorbing material?

wumpus wrote:

So now I am pretty sure i feel the disks, not the fans!

Well - this might be easier to cure (if it needs a cure at all - they are 7200rps after all)! Maybe i could wrap the HDDs in some vibration-absorbing material?

You get used to it over time.