cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GA-990FX-Gaming Vs CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z Vs GA-970-Gaming SLI

Lawlypops
Level 7
I'm currently planning a new computer build. My current one is decent, but I want an upgrade, and i'm starting from the beginning as i'm giving my current one to a friend

I'm having a hard time deciding if i want to get the same motherboard that i currently have, or if there is one that is better. The GA-990FX-Gaming and the
GA-970-Gaming SLI seem decent. The 970 didn't have enough user reviews to help, and the 990 had some complaints about the BIOS not working. I'm gonna be
going with the AMD FX-8370 with the Wraith Cooler for my proccessor (AM3+) and i'm keeping my Case (ATX form). Any ideas/tips?

My current Specs:
========================================
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair-V Formula Z
Processor: AMD FX-8370
Memory (part number): 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill TridentX
Graphics Card #1: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
Monitor: 1920x1080 Asus, 1600x900 Hanns-G
Storage #1: 1TB WD Black HDD
Storage #2: 250GB Samsung SSD
CPU Cooler: Stock
Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Snow Edition
Power Supply: Corsair C750
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Mouse: Razer Taipan
Headset: Turtlebeach Z11
Mouse Pad: Something from Staples
Headset/Speakers:Altec speakers
4 REPLIES 4

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Lawlypops 😄

ASUS CVFZ is the best AMD3+ MB out-there for the FX-8370, hands down IMO.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

maxrealliti
Level 9
myself have formula but if it did Reload this because a lot of things added and improved acceleration and there and there will be on the level. if we talk about extreme overclocking is the best formula but not the number of innovations and support
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/990FXA-GAMING.html#hero-overview
Ryzen 9 7950x (CPU) || Crosshair 670E Extrem (1510 Bios) (Motherboard) || F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR (C30 6000Mhz 1.4V) (RAM) || NZXT Z73 (Cooling) || PowerColor Red Devil Limited Edition RX 7900 XTX (GPU) || Samsung 980 PRO NVMe 1Tb (Hard Drive) || Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2Tb (Hard Drive) X 2 || Seasonic Vertex gx-1200 (Power Supply) || Samsung odyssey g8 oled (Monitor) || Asus ROG Strix scope TKL (Keyboard) || ASUS ROG Gladius II (Mouse) || Win 11 Pro 22H2 (Operating System)

Heini
Level 11
From you current specs the only upgrade path you have is with a GPU and/or going to Intel MB/CPU. AMD3+ has hit it's max and the CV-FZ is as good as you'll get.

Lawlypops
Level 7
I guess I'll stay with my current CPU and MB, because it works well. I'll just upgrade my GPU. I don't feel like moving to Intel. Unless there is a CPU from Intel at least as good as my current one that doesn't cost twice as much. But realistically, I can't find an Intel CPU that is as good as my AMD.