cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally Ripped off by Asus - No ATA password in BIOS for SED SSD's like the 950 Pro

codestaxx
Level 7
Just wow. I'm beyond shocked. I thought Asus was the enthusiast board to buy when I saw the adverts from CES and the ROG boards and I wrongly assumed they'd support such an old features such as "ATA Password" in their BIOS. I deeply regret my first ASUS motherboard. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

So if you are thinking about buying a ROG board and using those cool features of encryption on your bad A$$ Samsung SSD 950 Pro , FORGET IT! You can't even get Samsung Magician to allow you to encrypt the drive if it's your startup drive (OS). (Don't even get me started on how non-intuitive it was to get it to install the OS on the M.2)

For those who dont know it, or confuse it with hardware encryption using external controller, or software one: encryption is supported by SSD controller, most of the manufacturers does support it now. What's actually interesting - if you use SSD, the data is already encrypted, even without you knowing it. Thats simply how the controller saves it. BUT - encryption keys are not ciphered = no password set. Thats why you have access to the data without any password. Simple operation - setting HDD/ATA password in bios, few years ago it just blocked HDD from being enabled. Today what it actually does, it sets the password to protect encryption keys, ergo, without this password data is not available. Most important stuff - as your data is already being encrypted (but without password) there is no performance hit.

Here's another kicker...they have TPM pins on the board, but they don't make a compatible TPM chip. The old one? Don't even think about it. It's not the same size, nor can you repin it to the connector to make it work. Nevermind it's an old version of TPM anyways.

So if you value security and privacy, I suggest staying away from Asus. Don't get screwed like I did.
23 REPLIES 23

Nate152
Hi codestaxx

What motherboard did you get?

I'm a proud owner of the Maximus VIII Formula which is an awesome overclocking gaming ROG motherboard. I will definitely not stay away from Asus motherboards, there is a reason they are the leader in motherboard sales and that's because they are top notch. I'm not sure how many people hear you when you say stay away from Asus.

I don't find a password or all the encryption stuff necessary, if you feel you're going to be attacked by someone just install the Kaspersky antivirus that comes with your new awesome motherboard, it's good for 1 year.

I think you're a little paranoid. 🙂

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hmm... I must say that snide remarks is only going to limit the help you can/may receive on the forums.

Anyways, here's a few listings "ASUS TPM-M R2.0 14-1 Pin TPM Module" I found in less time than it took to write this up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-TPM-M-14Pin-The-Trusted-Platform-TPM-Module-for-Asus-Motherboards-/2523...

http://aerocooler.com/asus-tpm-m-14pin-the-trusted-platform-tpm-module-for-asus-motherboards/

https://computersurpluswarehouse.com/accessory/8746-asus-tpm-m-r20-14-1-pin-tpm-module.html This one Nate152 linked in the other thread you replied to.

Furthermore, If you had done a little research on the TPM module's, you'd have learned as I have, that TPM Modules are "not" motherboard manufacturer specific only the socket design limits compatibility. In other words a "MSI" branded tpm module will work in an asus or any other brand mobo with the appropriate socket and support. .>.>.>.>Edit: I stand corrected. I didn't research deeper.

Have a read here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module
You will see down that page, the listing of actual "tpm module" manufacturers. Asus is not one of them, the same for most other motherboard manufacturers.

As far as ATA BIOS passwords, my knowledge is limited at this time to provide any assistance as I have not found a need to use it.

Further note: All motherboard manufacturers have the manuals available for download in the support section of each motherboard offered. Does not require ownership of the motherboard of interest to download and read.

Ntwlf wrote:
Hmm... I must say that snide remarks is only going to limit the help you can/may receive on the forums.

Anyways, here's a few listings "ASUS TPM-M R2.0 14-1 Pin TPM Module" I found in less time than it took to write this up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-TPM-M-14Pin-The-Trusted-Platform-TPM-Module-for-Asus-Motherboards-/2523...

http://aerocooler.com/asus-tpm-m-14pin-the-trusted-platform-tpm-module-for-asus-motherboards/

https://computersurpluswarehouse.com/accessory/8746-asus-tpm-m-r20-14-1-pin-tpm-module.html This one Nate152 linked in the other thread you replied to.

Furthermore, If you had done a little research on the TPM module's, you'd have learned as I have, that TPM Modules are "not" motherboard manufacturer specific only the socket design limits compatibility. In other words a "MSI" branded tpm module will work in an asus or any other brand mobo with the appropriate socket and support.

Have a read here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module
You will see down that page, the listing of actual "tpm module" manufacturers. Asus is not one of them, the same for most other motherboard manufacturers.

As far as ATA BIOS passwords, my knowledge is limited at this time to provide any assistance as I have not found a need to use it.

Further note: All motherboard manufacturers have the manuals available for download in the support section of each motherboard offered. Does not require ownership of the motherboard of interest to download and read.

That is not even true.
A quick google search would reveal that you cannot do just that...place a MSI TPM into a Asus. Hilarious.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-76436.html

AmirShred
Level 8
codestaxx wrote:
(Don't even get me started on how non-intuitive it was to get it to install the OS on the M.2).

This might be a topic for another thread if you kept this board. There is nothing difficult about installing a M.2 drive in Windows, especially Windows 10 as it has native nvme support. I have installed two different M.2 drives including the 950 pro and it was as simple as physically connecting the drive, inserting a USB stick with Windows, turning on the system.

codestaxx wrote:
So if you value security and privacy, I suggest staying away from Asus. Don't get screwed like I did.

Most client desktop boards moved away from ATA password since the systems are for home use and typically not mobile. If you have security issues from others in you residence I recommend a lock. If police serve a warrant and this drama relates to illegal material the ATA password is not going to impede forensic data discovery. Boards from ASUS continue to be of the highest quality despite the continual obstacles thrown by Intel. The only close 2nd is ASR, the rest are pretty darn bad in my experience. I recommend asking some questions as many here have suggestions and advice that might help improve your experience.

AmirShred wrote:
This might be a topic for another thread if you kept this board. There is nothing difficult about installing a M.2 drive in Windows, especially Windows 10 as it has native nvme support. I have installed two different M.2 drives including the 950 pro and it was as simple as physically connecting the drive, inserting a USB stick with Windows, turning on the system.

Most client desktop boards moved away from ATA password since the systems are for home use and typically not mobile. If you have security issues from others in you residence I recommend a lock. If police serve a warrant and this drama relates to illegal material the ATA password is not going to impede forensic data discovery. Boards from ASUS continue to be of the highest quality despite the continual obstacles thrown by Intel. The only close 2nd is ASR, the rest are pretty darn bad in my experience. I recommend asking some questions as many here have suggestions and advice that might help improve your experience.

I don't think you understand how SED's work pal.

What is AES (Class 0 SED), and how do I use it?
AES (Advanced Encryption Standard, Class0 SED) technology is the standard algorithm of the United States that was designed to protect computer data.
The AES technology applied to the SSD employs hardware-based controller and encryption technology, which minimizes the loss of performance and encrypts data to protect the stored information against external access.
. Some Samsung SSD models (840, 840 Pro, 840 Evo, 850 PRO) support AES-256bit.
256bit refers to the length of the key used for data encryption.
The larger the bit number, the more powerful the encryption becomes.
. If you enable the HDD Password in BIOS, SED using the Class0 mode will be enabled, and you don't need to install separate software.
Some systems or BIOS may not support this feature.
. How to set up AES encryption
- In BIOS, Security > Password on boot > HDD Password (※May differ depending on the BIOS)
. The encryption key set for the AES is stored in the NAND of the SSD. If the key is lost, you can only reset the encryption key by performing a Secure Erase.
If you do so, all existing data will be lost.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/faqs_03.html

codestaxx wrote:
I don't think you understand how SED's work pal.

I am glad you are still showing interest in ASUS products! What Amir and others said still seems true, in that it is widely speculated that the NSA cracked AES years ago based on information derived from aes-256 encrypted sources. Again, many mobile platforms have this feature but most systems for home use do not. Attacks in your own home come from known inside forces so physical security seems more prudent.

codestaxx wrote:
MSI will never work.

I do however agree with this comment based on personal experience.

G75rog
Level 10
" I wrongly assumed" and yet you want to blame ASUS for your failure to do your own homework. Typical "It's not my fault" whine.

Like the others have said, do your homework/ due diligence before you buy.

codestaxx
Level 7
There's a complete lack of documentation on Asus and Samsung's part. Samsung doesn't tell you E-drive and TCG Opal aren't supported yet and Asus doesn't go into detail the difference between user and admin password functions. ATA password has been around since the 90's and is available from American Megatrends. It's not about homework, its about maintaining standards and baseline functionality. ATA password is baseline.