Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by codestaxx View Post
    Just wow. I'm beyond shocked. I thought Asus was the enthusiast board to buy when I saw the adverts from CES and the ROG boards and I wrongly assumed they'd support such an old features such as "ATA Password" in their BIOS. I deeply regret my first ASUS motherboard. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

So if you are thinking about buying a ROG board and using those cool features of encryption on your bad A$$ Samsung SSD 950 Pro , FORGET IT! You can't even get Samsung Magician to allow you to encrypt the drive if it's your startup drive (OS). (Don't even get me started on how non-intuitive it was to get it to install the OS on the M.2)

For those who dont know it, or confuse it with hardware encryption using external controller, or software one: encryption is supported by SSD controller, most of the manufacturers does support it now. What's actually interesting - if you use SSD, the data is already encrypted, even without you knowing it. Thats simply how the controller saves it. BUT - encryption keys are not ciphered = no password set. Thats why you have access to the data without any password. Simple operation - setting HDD/ATA password in bios, few years ago it just blocked HDD from being enabled. Today what it actually does, it sets the password to protect encryption keys, ergo, without this password data is not available. Most important stuff - as your data is already being encrypted (but without password) there is no performance hit.

Here's another kicker...they have TPM pins on the board, but they don't make a compatible TPM chip. The old one? Don't even think about it. It's not the same size, nor can you repin it to the connector to make it work. Nevermind it's an old version of TPM anyways.

So if you value security and privacy, I suggest staying away from Asus. Don't get screwed like I did.
    After reading the answers to your post, I must say the problems are not with Asus, but you. You haven't spend time doing some reseach. Instead you just do things the wrong way not knowing what you are doing- Do some reading and learn, and you will be much better off in the future. People here have done a good job
    providing you with good answers. You should be very happy.

ROG Junior Member Array

May I relay you SSD encryption folks over here to gain some support?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-in-SSD-drives

I find it really disappointing that ASUS is not providing a proper BIOS for us!

Cheers

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GotKevlar PC Specs
    GotKevlar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC)
    Processori7-8700K @ 4.4 Ghz
    Memory (part number)F4-3466C16D-32GTZ (2x16) (XMP On)
    Graphics Card #1ZT-P10800H-10P
    Sound CardSupremeFX 8-Channel HDA CODEC S1220A
    MonitorSamsung 55" Curved
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250G NVMe M.2
    Storage #2Intel 660p Series M.2 SSDPEKNW020T8X1
    CPU CoolerNZXT RL-KRX42-02
    CaseTT Level 20 VT
    Power SupplyPS-TPG-0850FPCPUS-P
    Keyboard SteelSeries MERC Stealth
    Mouse R2 Omnimouse
    Headset SteelSeries H Wireless
    Mouse Pad KILLENFLOR DECK
    Headset/Speakers Yamaha SR-300
    OS Win 10 Pro X64 1803 (os build 17134.345)
    Network RouterUbiquiti USGv3
    Accessory #1 (1) ThermalTake 200 mm Fan

Ive read all the posts for this topic. I understand what the point of the conversation is. I have a maximus impact viii. But i understood the purpose of the motherboard before i purchased it. Its a performance board, plain and simple. Security isnt a huge factor being that most of or rigs are either at home or right next to us at LAN parties. The ROG line wasnt designed around corporate workstation, mobility,etc. They were in fact designed for gamers. Granted yes, they could have added that feature in sure, but it wasnt a deal breaker as mosty of us bought these boards for a single purpose.....gaming.

ROG Junior Member Array

I understand your POV, but who will protect my savegames against the agencies?

I am just puzzled because this seems to be solely down to adding it into the BIOS or not. It's not a limitation that can't be overcome by relatively little work on ASUS behalf.

New ROGer Array

I totally agree. This functionality really should be implemented in the BIOS, i was amazed that it's not possible to set the ATA password on my motherboard. It never even crossed my mind that this would have been removed.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array drop4205 PC Specs
    drop4205 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)What are laptops
    MotherboardMaximus XI Formula
    ProcessorI9-9900K
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident Z F4-3200C14-32GYZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Reference RTX2080TI
    Graphics Card #2ha I wish
    Graphics Card #3ha I wish
    Graphics Card #4ha I wish
    Sound Cardha I wish
    MonitorMSI Oculux-NXG251R
    Storage #1Samsung970 EVO Plus 1T
    CPU CoolerHeatkiller
    CasePhantex Evolove X
    Power SupplySessonic Prime Titanium 850
    Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
    Mouse ROG Gladius II
    Headset Astro A40
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    Headset/Speakers Astro A40TR
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Accessory #1 Ek GPU Block
    Accessory #2 EK SE 360 Rad, EK PE 360 Rad
    Accessory #3 EK D5 Vario 140 Pump/Res

Why was it so hard to put os on m.2????? Christ i had my mother put my os on my m.2 when she was alive last year cause she was curious on how i built my computer and thought it was interesting. I talked her thru it and never an issue.
    Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, ROG Strix Flare keyboard, ROG Gladius II

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Legolas PC Specs
    Legolas PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero Wifi AC
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8600k oc 5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Samsung DDR4 16GB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080
    MonitorASUS MS246
    Storage #1Samsung MZVPV256
    Storage #2Samsung MZVPV256
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110I v2
    Power SupplyPC 1200W Turbo-Cool 1200
    Keyboard ASUS SK2045

The ATA password is not secure *https://geekscrowd.wordpress.com/201...our-hard-disk/, that is why Asus do not implement it
    It is easily hacked by downloading software or simply reset the CMOS. Too easy.
    TPM module is much better. When encrypted using Bitlocker, it is more secure and much more secure.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    The ATA password is not secure *https://geekscrowd.wordpress.com/201...our-hard-disk/, that is why Asus do not implement it
    It is easily hacked by downloading software or simply reset the CMOS. Too easy.
    TPM module is much better. When encrypted using Bitlocker, it is more secure and much more secure.
    No, you cannot reset it by clearing the CMOS, the password is saved on the HDD, not in the BIOS. That's the BIOS password which is a whole other security feature. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

It doesn't matter if TPM is more secure or not, this is a simple thing for Asus to add to the BIOS. It's not even an easy thing to find a TPM that works on some Asus motherboards.
    It's possible to add this functionality on your own by editing the BIOS but this is not something that should be necessary for their customers who wants the benefit of encrypting their SSD's.

It should be official and done the right way.
    Last edited by manisk; 07-21-2016 at 05:42 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ondersma80 PC Specs
    ondersma80 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar DSX
    MonitorPG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #2Assorted SSD & HDD
    CPU CoolerNH-D14
    Power SupplySilencer MK III 850W
    Keyboard G105
    Mouse G700S
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 - I moved on from the technology of the previous decade.

There is an incredible amount of buffoonery in this thread. There is no reason to enable ATA password features on a static desktop motherboard other to aid in a poor attempt to hide illegal material from law enforcement. It is true, you cannot clear an ATA password with a CMOS clear; that is way off base. However, you can clear an ATA password with a firmware update using a modified file (see U of T, MIT, and Oxford studies). ATA password protocol cannot block a firmware update using a d board and firmware that retains data is available for most of the major manufacturers.

I am not sure why so many spend so much time blowing hot air at ASUS who hasn't implemented this for years and years. If you want the feature go buy an inferior board, enable that ATA password, and feel better knowing your little pics are "safe".

New ROGer Array

Ah, yes. Everyone who wants to use encryption is criminals trying to hide their tracks. How original. By that logic, I guess that makes Asus and Samsung criminals too, since they add encryption functions to their products available to the public. For criminals - by criminals.

It's about the ease of use, with an ATA password you can feel reasonably safe when you have your SSD's with you or if your computer gets stolen. It's not a big thing for them to add and it does not affect you, or others who's not interested in using it, in any way.
    Last edited by manisk; 07-23-2016 at 04:55 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast