cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMOS Battery going bad in less then a year?

Howie411
Level 7
In the last month, at least 3 times I've turned on my PC and the time has been off (by almost 6 hrs). Windows and the Bios are both showing the same time (but obviously wrong). I have a Maximus VII Forumla MB that isn't even a year old. Is the CMOS battery dying already and is there a way to check?
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Howie411 😉

The MB CMOS Battery may be dying, replacing it would only cost about $4.

You may have to reflash your Bios in standby mode. ( Just power to the MB and the system off.)
Clear CMOS. Insert USB (with latest Bios) into lower USB port, (this is the ROG port on the Rear IO panel) then press the ROG Connect button till it starts to flash. Once it stops its done.

If this does not fix the issue then we will have to dig deeper.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

TheRealWitblitz
Level 7
Howie411 wrote:
In the last month, at least 3 times I've turned on my PC and the time has been off (by almost 6 hrs). Windows and the Bios are both showing the same time (but obviously wrong). I have a Maximus VII Forumla MB that isn't even a year old. Is the CMOS battery dying already and is there a way to check?

Mine also died. Now, to remove the armor just to replace the battery. Good luck with that.

Ntwlf
Level 12
I consider it standard practice (peace of mind) to replace the CMOS battery on a new build irregardless of how new the motherboard is. Having purchased different things over the years that have batteries included such as televisions with remote controls almost always has the cheapest batteries irregardless of the product brand. When your investing hundreds of dollars into a new pc build, plus hours of your time assembling it, why would someone not replace the $4 CMOS battery with a "new known brand".

I have the Maximus VII Formula MB as well, it wasn't difficult at all to remove the armor. But it does require more time to remove the motherboard from the case to access removing the armor. Thus...my statement above.