cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot time on Maximus VIII ?

deeaa01
Level 7
Hello,

Could someone with a Maximus 8 report how long does it take for you to boot to Windows please?

It's driving me nuts that my clearly fastest machine, a new i7 6500K with an m.2 drive (Samsung950) as well, boots up many times slower than all my other machines. Even the old Core 2 machines boot in a very short time in comparison.

So I'm wondering do they always boot up so slow or do I have some issue?
12 REPLIES 12

deeaa01
Level 7
My times are:

20 secs the ROG logo goes away for a while (by this time my old core 2 is already in Windows)

27 secs ROG logo reappears

42.6 secs ROG logo goes away screen goes blank

57.4 Windows logo appears and soon after the rotating points

One minute 15 secs Google homepage is open.

I have tried loading default bios values and everything but seems to me nothing affects the boot time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

deeaa01
Level 7
And in comparison my slowest machine, an aeons old AmD on an Asus M4A motherboard and win ten as well...10 seconds flat to get to windows loading screen and about 18 secs to see the desktop, Google open in just over 24 secs.

Chino
Level 15
You can try the suggestions from the following user.

rickytuk wrote:
I finally found a solution that works for me so I hope it works for others. My O/S drive is a Samsung 950 pro M.2 drive and windows is installed in UEFI mode. In CSM Compatibility mode I switched boot option to "UEFI only" and set everything else to Ignore. Also Changed PCI-Express setting to "UEFI first". It's all in the same menu so you'll see what I mean when you play around in there.

Cold Boot time is down to around 15 seconds which I'm happy with. I've left all the memory checks at auto and I'm running 32GB @2600mhz in XMP Mode. Bios 1402.

I have a VIII Hero MOB with 6700K, M.2 950 Pro 256GB , 980 TI, 3200MHZ TridentZ 32GB Mem (8GB x4), Win 8.1 and Watercool and it boots in ~10-15 from a cold start.

I did Not change any setting in bios and i have not done any windows startup maintenance yet. This is a fairly new PC built within the past month and only have a game installed
on the 2nd HDD (Not on the M.2 950 pro) and i have a few monitoring programs installed on the 950 pro and all the standard OS stuff like Chrome Anti virus etc.

I think i can reduce the time by 3 sec or so if i lower how long the logo stays on in order to get into bios "F1/delete" etc. Probably can reduce it down to 1 sec rather then 3 sec that
its defult is set to.

So without doing a reboot right now to get the exact number its ~ 8sec to get to the asus logo then ~13 to boot to desktop from the Asus logo.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

However maybe a little advice, though i should be the last one to give any as iam fair from a PC pro. So any adivce i give will be more
so to check on something rather then do anything.;) It could be that your computer bios setting say for the Memory if set
to XMP mode and it is not happy and its restarting a few times while you may think that everything is just booting up and you are confusing the 2.

I have seen this before on another PC with XMP ON it would do this weird On/off Cycle 3 or so times before it boot up to desktop. Which took ~2 minutes.

Once i updated the bios on that machine and re set it to XMP again it never had that problem again and booted up fast like my PC as i first mentioned above.
Prior to this it would sometimes bootup fast ~13 sec and other times ~2 minutes.

Make sure your PC is not actually restarting and you are confusing it with a normal startup.

Probebly not the issue but i mention it anyway just encase.:)

Chino wrote:
You can try the suggestions from the following user.

Hello,

So is this in Windows or bios?

Thanks everyone 4 suggestions...can't find xmp mode in bios or this csm menu anywhere yet.

Heini
Level 11
Mine was ok with Win7 but after switching to Win10 cold boot times are awful but reboot times are tolerable. Thank you MS!

deeaa01
Level 7
Ok found the CSM setting, changed to UEFI only...but it won't go into windows at all with this setting. It just automatically goes back to BIOS. Also my Samsung 950 Pro vanished completely from the boot list. I had to put it back to original settings (both or ignore) or I can't see the M.2 drive at all or boot from it. I did leave the last setting of PCI-e to Uefi first.

deeaa01
Level 7
And oh, it did shave quite a bit off boot time...now it is 22 seconds of showing the ROG logo and Windows is loaded at just over 40 seconds so clear improvement.

Can relate, sometimes I hate waiting for my garage door to open. I paid good money for it. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds longer than next door but one's. The manufacturer have banned my number from calling though.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090