cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Screen Flickers with Lid Movement and Questions about LCD Cable

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
G750JM Screen flickers with lid movement, out of warranty. Assuming for now till I take it apart the cable between the display and bottom unit is bad or it's connector. It's getting worse as time goes on also.

The hinge is also getting looser with time.

My question is the cable an integral part of the display or is it connectorized at both ends? Is this something I can swap out myself? Is a replacement cover available?
If it keeps getting worse I may have to do this sooner, rather than later. I haven't seen a source of replacement parts yet but only looking a short while

While apart I would like give it a good cleaning inside, any tips on that?
10 REPLIES 10

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
Thread Bump. Nothing?

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
Disappointing there is no help at all here.

Guess I'll just have to figure it myself

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi, sorry for the delay, but not sure if there's a lot of people taking apart their systems these days, so sometimes it can take more time for the right people to run across your post.
If you trust it, you can also probably find your answers on the internet too, but it's always great if someone can talk you through it of course.

Anyway, expect there should be some G750 disassembly videos out there (?) that are probably similar enough to your G750JM model if there isn't one specifically available for it, but you should find the G750JM uses a separate LCD cable, so yes I would suggest trying to replace or even just reconnect that cable before spending money on an LCD replacement.
Guessing that finding an LCD cable for your unit may be the toughest part though, but hopefully I'm wrong about this and there might be other models using the same LCD cable.

Was thinking if you did end up sending the unit to ASUS for repair that you try to make sure that they check the LCD cable first before replacing the entire LCD, but honestly not sure how easy or well this will work and how good the communication will be, but it's an idea anyway.

You probably know you can attach an external monitor temporarily to use the system if necessary, but thought I would make sure.

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you can!

aarbogh
Level 7
Hi
My G750 starting to experience the same so if you have found out anything I would have appreciated to hear your solution.

aarbogh wrote:
Hi
My G750 starting to experience the same so if you have found out anything I would have appreciated to hear your solution.

i too started experiencing this same exact thing around the time of your post.

RedBatman
Level 7
Hi mine has been doing this too. I took it to a laptop repair shop twice and both shops said they could not notice a flicker even though I can see it. Anyone get this fixed yet?

RedBatman wrote:
Hi mine has been doing this too. I took it to a laptop repair shop twice and both shops said they could not notice a flicker even though I can see it. Anyone get this fixed yet?

I had this before, it was just the screen ribbon cable had come slightly loose, as it is just held in position by tape..removed ribbon cable and reseated it and secured with some new tape...think I pulled my ribbon cable slightly to give it a bit more flex when opening and closing the lid...etc.
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:
I had this before, it was just the screen ribbon cable had come slightly loose, as it is just held in position by tape..removed ribbon cable and reseated it and secured with some new tape...think I pulled my ribbon cable slightly to give it a bit more flex when opening and closing the lid...etc.

Hmm that could work, unfortunately I have seen videos of people taking apart this laptop and boy it looks complicated. I'm okay with opening up Desktops but I may need to take it to a pro again.

RedBatman wrote:
Hmm that could work, unfortunately I have seen videos of people taking apart this laptop and boy it looks complicated. I'm okay with opening up Desktops but I may need to take it to a pro again.

From memory it was easy to do...think there is a you tube video of it....
remove the rubber caps that cover the screws around the bezel, remove screws and carefully pry the bezel off etc...there is a few screws to remove to release the screen from the back cover, just take your time and keep track of where the screws go etc..
Good luck.
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.