cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with G751JY-DH72X able to replace UJ272 optical drive with 9mm ssd tray?

poisondartfrog4
Level 7
I've been trying to find a way to exchange my existing UJ272 optical drive with a 9mm tray so I can remove the optical drive and replace with a tray
that will fit and hold a ssd. I purchased a 9.5mm thick ssd tray that was supposed to be compatible with my UJ272 optical drive (DVD-RW) but the
tray was too thick to fit the open slot after I removed the optical drive. I carefully measured the thickness of the optical drive and found that the
thickness was 9mm vs. the 9.5mm thickness of the ssd tray. I've been looking for a 9mm ssd tray ever since but have not been able to find one.
I was told to remove the top portion of the tray so it would fit but I returned the tray before I had this fix suggested to me. Has anyone been able to
successfully replace their UJ272 optical drive with a compatible ssd tray that fit? Any suggestions and or help would be truly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes its possible, you might not want to waste a SSD on that SATA I port though. You can find caddy's on ebay.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes its possible, you might not want to waste a SSD on that SATA I port though. You can find caddy's on ebay.

Hey Clintlgm,

How do you get a 9.5mm thick caddy into a slot that uses a 9mm thick optical drive? I need the ssd for data backup (Large GIS files) so I'm not concerned
with the access speed.

poisondartfrog47 wrote:
Hey Clintlgm,

How do you get a 9.5mm thick caddy into a slot that uses a 9mm thick optical drive? I need the ssd for data backup (Large GIS files) so I'm not concerned
with the access speed.

The slot is 9.5mm. There are but two size variations specs 9.5mm and 12.7mm. Some are built slightly different but the form factors are a constant. I recall when I replaced my DVD on my G751JL with a 9.5mm BD rom it was a tight fit but it did fit.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

toronto699
Level 13
u can buy the caddy here along with a HD $35 US for caddy
http://www.hidevolution.com/
check the specs of the available G751 and G752 optical drive can be replaced with caddy and HD buy it from them then u are sure u got the right parts, they have Chat line during day time hours on their home page they r in LA USA

Rares95
Level 8
I have a HDD in my ODD. Recently the SATA port got fried so i will have to send it in for repairs... It's SATA II, so it will suffice any HDD.