Rampage V Extreme - E5 2696 V3 (18/36)

fabiosun
Level 8
Hi to all
I have this config:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
128 Gb DDR4 Corsair 2666 Cl16
E5 2696 V3 (12-28) with turboboost to 36

If I set in bios all in auto I can see all steps from 12 to 36.
If I set manual and I set bclk to 103 (or any value different from 100) I can't achieve step different from 28 (cpu seems to be locked to 2882 Mhz (bclk to 103) or 2827 (bclk 101 as you can see in attached picture)
I have same result with all latest bios
Is there a solution to see also in manual way steps from 12 to 36?
25 REPLIES 25

The_Veterant
Level 7
fabiosun wrote:
Hi to all
I have this config:
Asus Rampage V Extreme
128 Gb DDR4 Corsair 2666 Cl16
E5 2696 V3 (12-28) with turboboost to 36

If I set in bios all in auto I can see all steps from 12 to 36.
If I set manual and I set bclk to 103 (or any value different from 100) I can't achieve step different from 28 (cpu seems to be locked to 2882 Mhz (bclk to 103) or 2827 (bclk 101 as you can see in attached picture)
I have same result with all latest bios
Is there a solution to see also in manual way steps from 12 to 36?

Hello guy, as far as my opinion your CPU and motherboard are married together with good performance. Because if you look the Intel Arc of your CPU spec sheet says 2.3Ghz base frequency and 3.6 Turbo boost, so the motherboard and your cooling solution its helping you out some where cause its allowing the CPU to turbo boost all cores to almost 2.8Ghz. On the comment of the BLCK I guest all Xeon have that weakness cause mine can't pass beyond 103 neither so I guess all Xeon falls under same category at least the V3 and V4. Mine its a V4 and I have the same problem with BLCK, can't go over 103 her sweet spot is 102.

I guest your CPU its a OEM version of the e5 2699 v3 right? Mine its a OEM version of the e5 2699 V4, its a 2696 V4 and she only turbo boost to 2.7Ghz, but one thing different on yours vs mine, beside the specs obvious, yours has a TDP of 145 W and the spec sheet on intel's arc of your CPU bother has a TDP of 145W as well. In the other hand mine its a OEM version of the e5 2699 v4 w/ TDP of 145W and mine has a TDP of 150W, I guess on mine w/ a good motherboard, she can do better of what she is doing now. So guy, long story short your CPU is doing fine just enjoy it.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

The_Veterant
Level 7
Oh by the way if you want to check a open thread that have here http://www.overclock.net/t/1595804/support-question-on-a-xeon-e5-2696-v4 it show my motherboard that I'm using and some benchmarks that have done with it. And now that seen yours I may try to swap the 128GB memory kit that I have on my 5960X to the Xeon's rig, so when she is under intense mode I guess it give the memory controller better breathe to fetch and place data.

Thank you The Veterant for you answer
I would like to specify that I am very happy of my system and the sense of my message was to find right bios tweak to have all steps working togheter 103 bclk multiplier
I have had also the chance to try a friend of mine 2696 V4 cpu with a dual asus p8 Mb with only a 8 Gb of ECC memory and one cpu and test for an hour with OCCT
Also your cpu can boost to 28 with all cores and, with "server" Mb it is very simple to achieve (all parameters was in auto mode)
Cpu downclock during OCCT (avx enabled) till x24
My friend is now waiting for asus (his x99 E WS 3.1 has no compatible V4 firmware till now)

I think your cpu is no an es version so you can achieve x28 for all cores also
Look my picture attacched here It is referred to my CPU but now it is locked to x27 as your
Changing only to per core from auto can revert to x28 working state
In my case I would like to achieve a 103 bclk overclock and to see variable multiplier from 12 to 36 as my cpu can achieve in auto bios setting mode
I hope this clarify better my thought.

The_Veterant
Level 7
If you said so, I guess you have clarify your point, so in the mean time here are some of my results.

I'm still in search of a good motherboard, single socket, that can make this CPU fly a little more, of course with a good water cooling solution.

The Veterant, could you post a cpuz picture with bclk set at 101 or 102?
Thank you

The_Veterant
Level 7
@Fabiosun, as your request.

Like I said before, I know there will be a motherboard capable to get better results with this CPU, just waiting for that to happens. Just like a orphan child waiting for the right mother adopted her. Oh I forgot to mention those 1800+ scores are from my 5960X at 4.5Ghz.

Thank you
It seems that cpz shows incorrect bclk value of 100 instead 101 or 102
Is it so?
Are you tweaking cpu voltage also?
Today I did some try with my cpu
It boots up to 106 for bclk but without any tweak is not stable
Without any overvoltage i am stable at 103.5

The_Veterant
Level 7
Yes you are right same on side 103.50 I guess its the limit stable on this CPUs, No I don't tweak voltage on it just change the BLCK and that's it. I which it could be a way to have all cores and thread to at least 3.0Ghz. I know I have faith on ASUS will come up with a better bios setup tweak for this CPU or a motherboard like the workstation that really push this CPU to the limit.

3.0 Ghz it is impossible to reach with all cores
For me the goal is to have all 18 core 2.8 Ghz plus bclk, in my case 103.5 means 2.898 Ghz on all cores
But, if I test with occt and avx active, clock downclock from 2.898 ( x28) to 2.691(x26) after few minutes and it stays stable at x26 for hours (temps are about 50 degrees)

Other goal is to see x36 value when i use one core, but it seems impossible with rampage v if I set manual bclk settings for bclk
From here my starting question

With your msi and hwinfo64 can you see a modified value of bclk different from 100?