cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux on Z170 ROG

-____pn_____-
Level 7
Hello

I'm going to build a Z170 PC for Software Development and Gaming on Linux (Latest Kernel).
Since I've seen the 100% Steam Compatible logo on ROG series I think I will get better driver compatibility on Linux systems here, therefor I'm considering a ROG Motherboard for this build.
Right now I'm comparing Maximus VIII Ranger, Hero, Hero Alpha, and I was wondering if there are any performance or driver issues on Linux that I should be aware of, before choosing the Motherboard?
I'm planning to Stay only with Linux distributions on this build, so Windows won't be an option for me.
I will appreciate any thoughts or advices regarding this matter.

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

iCeD00D
Level 7
It's been my experience with any Linux build, that researching drivers is a must. Back when i was building my old ROG laptop, I remember having a hell of a time finding drives
compatible to my chipset. In some cases - like my network card for example, I had to build the drivers from the source code. IMO before buying a MB, go to their support pages
and see if any 'Linux' drivers are available. For example, I just went to my support page for this laptop - G751JY and there's only 2 OS's under my options - Win10x64 and
Win8.1x64. Though personally I'd rather play all my games on Linux, I've had a difficult time trying to get them to run properly. Good luck though...
Asus ROG G751JY

Chino
Level 15

jervine
Level 7
Fedora 23 with Steam (from the negativo17 repo) running here. No issues for me either. No messing about with drivers required.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your responses, compatibility shouldn't be an issue then.
I will post my results after finishing my build.

lads, what do i need to disable in the bios to get a distro installed on a hero viii?

I can't get an install or a live distro to boot from the uefi usb choice, it always fails on "(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system."
(tried two different distros and both crap out with that error in buzybox after the inital boot)

I've windows 10 on an m2 drive and i'm using another entire harddrive for the linux install
if i choose the non uefi usb option it will boot into an install or live mode and i can go through the process and setup the drive etc but obviously does me no use as i can't get to it after a restart due to the bootloader.

I've went through various options like disabling csm but nothing gets me past the initramfs issue

Chino
Level 15

fixed it, didn't like using a usb3 drive to install from for whatever reason