wcryan
Level 7
Hey guys I just went out and bought a new build. the specs are as follows

i7 6700k
asus maximus viii hero
2x16 ddr4
samsung 950 pro 256gb
samsung 850 pro 256gb

The issue I am having is that the BIOS will recognize the 950 pro but when I go to create a partition to install windows 7 on it, it will not recognize it. When I try to save it on my 850 pro it recognizes the drive in windows installer but will not create a partition for it. Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

wcryan
Level 7
Also, do the skylakes not support the 850 pro's? These harddrives are new to me probably just like everyone else so im just trying to learn as I go

aceisme wrote:
Link to Samsung NVME driver:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html...

Do I install that NVME driver when I get to the partition part of windows? Do I go under load drivers and do it from there when im installing windows?

wcryan wrote:
Do I install that NVME driver when I get to the partition part of windows? Do I go under load drivers and do it from there when im installing windows?

Yes, before installing you will get the option to load drivers on that partition window.

wcryan wrote:
Also, do the skylakes not support the 850 pro's? These harddrives are new to me probably just like everyone else so im just trying to learn as I go
Yes it does. I have 850 pro 500GB as boot drive , works just fine. I'm sure your problem is in BIOS (or SATA ports): Load setup defaults. Sometimes when you mess with BIOS, things go wrong.

You should have no problem with 950 Pro either. If it was a problem. ASUS would have fixed it with a bios update, And mentioned it in FAQ.
You are doing something wrong. Try to unplug all other drives but your Boot drive (I guess it is 950 PRO) , and install Windows. You should have no problem. And remember the BLACK SATA ports are Asmedia and can NOT be used as boot drives, only data.

emsir wrote:
Yes it does. I have 850 pro 500GB as boot drive , works just fine. I'm sure your problem is in BIOS (or SATA ports): Load setup defaults. Sometimes when you mess with BIOS, things go wrong.

You should have no problem with 950 Pro either. If it was a problem. ASUS would have fixed it with a bios update, And mentioned it in FAQ.
You are doing something wrong. Try to unplug all other drives but your Boot drive (I guess it is 950 PRO) , and install Windows. You should have no problem. And remember the BLACK SATA ports are Asmedia and can NOT be used as boot drives, only data.

But it is confirmed that the 950 pro does need the NVMe drivers for windows 7 correct? Just want to make sure I have that straight. I am not using the black sata ports. Per my owners manual it states that the M.2 drive uses sata 1 and 2 and those cannot be used which im guessing are the ones at the top. I am not at home right now so im just going off google image pictures

aceisme
Level 10
wcryan wrote:
Hey guys I just went out and bought a new build. the specs are as follows

i7 6700k
asus maximus viii hero
2x16 ddr4
samsung 950 pro 256gb
samsung 850 pro 256gb

The issue I am having is that the BIOS will recognize the 950 pro but when I go to create a partition to install windows 7 on it, it will not recognize it. When I try to save it on my 850 pro it recognizes the drive in windows installer but will not create a partition for it. Any ideas?

Why, why, why??? Why install WIN7 on a new HW PC? Anyway, you have two options here.

1. Install WIN10 and you'll have no problems at all.
2. If you still want to go with WIN7, then you will need to load the Samsung NVME driver prior to WIN7 installation.

Chino wrote:
Also make sure you install in UEFI mode.

So change to UEFI in Bios?

Do you know what section that is under? Im not home at the moment