cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g752vl usb 3.0 transfert problem

splendum
Level 7
I have a rog g752vl, when i transfert file from hd to the external (Western Digital) hard disk , its always stop and go to 0 bytes and continue and sometime disconnect .

I have try the link power management reg trick and nothing change .. Do you have a solution please -- all ports usb do the same .. btw with a usb 2,0 hard disk no
problems, all is fine

thx

sorry for my bad english 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

hexaae
Level 12
Is a known BIOS/HW issue never fixed by ASUS, affecting also G752VY and G751JY:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84635-G752VY-G751JY-everlasting-bug-of-USB-3-0-left-port-r...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Is a known BIOS issue never fixed by ASUS, affecting also G752VY and G751JY:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84635-G752VY-G751JY-everlasting-bug-of-USB-3-0-left-port-r...

thx for the info, i have send a bug report to asus - maybe i ll receive an answer one day 😛

JustinThyme
Level 13
Which port and is it a powered USB drive or USB powered. I dont believe its a BIOS issue. My take is the daughter board on the left side dropping voltage enough to cause an interruption in communications. Ive only seen this once on my machine with a USB 3.0 Western digital HDD that is powered off of the USB port. Several smaller Seagates and jump drives with a lower power consumption has had no issues. No issues with the port on the right side regardless of whats plugged in. Im seldom using more than one drive at any given time and just got used to using the right side ports for that purpose and the left side for jump drives. I don't think any BIOS revision will fix this.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I have tried all usb ports, tried the link power reg, tried all my usb hard drive: Toshiba Canvio 1 tb, seagate slim 2 tb, and have no problem with my external usb 2.0 hard
drive
(external box with power cord) with usb 2.0 transfert is about 45 mb/sec and constant - but in usb 3.0 all is bad - transfert variatiob, disconnecting etc.. I m in
contact with asus and I have done all there tricks and nothing work for now

thx for your help

Do you think its windows 10 issue of drivers ?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its not a windows 10 problem. Wouldnt hurt to update all the drivers from the ASUS website. Just dont use their graphics or wireless drivers. All the USB and ASUS specific drivers and the 3.1 firmware update should be done.
You are the first I have seen having a problem with all the ports. The left side ports are a hardware issue with a poorly designed daughter board that BTW I checked and its the EXACT SAME BOARD as what is in the G751 series that has the same problems.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
.............. All the USB and ASUS specific drivers and the 3.1 firmware update should be done.
........... .

What 3.1 firmware do you refer to?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hexaae
Level 12
@JustinThyme
As an Electronic Engineer, do you think you can find a solution to improve the power supply for the daughter board? A DIY modification...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

JustinThyme
Level 13
I probably could find the culprit if I had the schematics of the 5V distribution on the motherboard and the daughter board or felt like going through the painstaking process of laying it all out just to figure out where the Vdrop is taking place. A permanent DIY fix would most certainly only apply to those with superior soldering skills. One DIY is simply to use self powered devices instead of bus powered or fashion a connector where power and data would come from separate ports but then you are doing a two for one. I've also noted that low power devices haven't given me any problems.