cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing on game and applications launch

Retired
Not applicable
When I insert the disk for games and try to start some applications (yahoo messenger, steam), my computer completely locks up, I can't move my mouse, hit ctrl+alt+del or do anything. I have to hold my power button until my system restarts. With some of the games I was able to install in safe mode and then they worked normally. I have the ROG G51J series, windows 7, nVIDIA GTS 360M, core i7. Tried running memory diagnostic tool, no problem was detected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tried running memory diagnostic tool, no problem was detected.
19 REPLIES 19

martin_metal_88
Level 8
First! Welcome to Asus ROG forum!

If install some game in safe mod fix the issue I would concider re-installing windows. Backup everything and resetthe laptop to factory default then re-install. If my memory is good the G51J factory reset step are the following
1: Back up EVERYTHING you might need on a external device
2: Power off
3: Tap F9 and power on. Tap F9 until you see the restor screen appear
4: follow the instruction that will put everything back like the first time you opened it.
5: Once everything will be done, open the laptop and the windows install will start over like the first time you took it out of the box.
6: Install software 1 by 1 not a bunch at the same time. If issue still persist, then I would start component troubleshoot 😉

Keep us up to date!
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
I've already tried that, but when I press f9 on startup, there is no recovery option. The Asus tech tried that but for whatever reason I don't have it. I really don't want to send it in since I'm stationed overseas it would take forever. Maybe I'll borrow a copy of windows and try doing it that way.

xeromist
I would try turning off auto-run and see if you can even just browse a disc without launching anything. Try copying some of the files on the disc to the hard drive manually. That will help narrow it to whether this is an issue with the drive itself or something it doesn't like about setup executables.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I tried putting the disk in and installing the game. The autorun pops up and I can start the install (for fallout new Vegas). But in order to play the game an application called "steam" has to be installed. When this program opens is when my computer locks up. Does that help any?:confused:

xeromist
Interesting. Both that this is where you get the lockup and that we have a gamer that doesn't know what Steam is. 😄 Steam is Valve Software's distribution and social integration platform. It's quite huge as there are over 1000 PC games available through Steam. Anyway, I would say try going to http://www.steampowered.com and get the steam client directly. See if you can get it to install without errors.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I know what steam is, just didn't know if everyone else does. Its not just steam though, it does the same thing with yahoo messenger...? There has to be something in these programs triggering something in my computer to lock up. It just doesn't make sense.

Retired
Not applicable
I forgot to mention that I can start the computer in safe mode+networking and install steam and fallout as well. But when I switch back to regular windows it still locks up when steam starts.

drz400dude wrote:
I know what steam is, just didn't know if everyone else does. Its not just steam though, it does the same thing with yahoo messenger...? There has to be something in these programs triggering something in my computer to lock up. It just doesn't make sense.

Ah OK, yeah I'm pretty sure we all know what Steam is since we're all PC gamers here.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the current incarnation of Yahoo messenger so I don't know what libraries it may be using that Steam would also need. I suppose you could always guess and check by removing and re-installing things fresh. I'd start with common tools like Java and Flash. Also I would try to disable any processes that you don't absolutely need, especially on startup. That's part of what makes safe mode better is that it doesn't run all of the crap that most people have running normally. This means printer apps, messengers, update managers, even anti-virus if you're comfortable. The more you can disable and then run Steam the better chance you have of determining a conflict. Run msconfig to see what is loading on startup and disable it.

Retired
Not applicable
I already tried that. I disabled everything and restarted. Same effect. Is there a way to enable your audio device in safe mode? If there was I'd just play that way until I can get a chance to send it in. But an rpg is no fun without audio.